October 21, 2012

Centered Question #3

There is a place for most everyone, that brings peace, calm and inspiration beyond reason.  Where do you find yourself most centered, most connected to life and your most true self?  It doesn't have to be a place you travel far to get to ~ it can be your own back porch. It can be a specific place, a broad scope of place, or a sense of place. The most important thing is that you find what centers you there.
This isn't breaking news:  for me, it is the ocean.  I believe that I have always had an intense interdependence on the sea, from the time I was two, and the strong grasp of an undertow ripped me from my parents' hands, drawing me deeper out into the water.  We all have those sharp memories from the earliest of our days, and to this day, I can still see and feel that experience - the sensation of being cradled and culled by powerful force like a shell being plucked from the shore.  I remember looking up, eyes open just below the surface to see the green blue watery sun glinting through the shallow waves above me, and I remember a strange sense of calm.  I didn't choose the sea, it chose me, collected like one finding the most cherished seashell on the sand.

Being here again, I am reminded of all that it means to me, both spoken and unspoken.  I remember all the reasons I have to make my pilgrimage to its powerful shores.  Being here, I am challenged to live my life the way I know it is best lived, and not the way this world's intents are being imposed upon me.


  • I am reminded of the greatness of God beside the ocean.  My finite rests trusting in His infinity.
  • It is always by the sea that I am reminded of my love affair with words.
  • My fierce ardor and heartbreak for all humanity is never clearer than when I am at ocean's shore.
  • Clarity resonates brightest.  Passion rises to a fevered pitch.  Inspiration comes in like high tide.
  • I am most at home - finding my Center and my deepest longings where deep always calls.
Describe that place for you.

If you are just joining in, we are in the midst of a GET-AWAY GIVE-AWAY and you are welcome, no, ENCOURAGED to join in!  Come along!  Some of you are remembering to ask me questions for extra entries so BONUS!  Here are a few from last week that all have a similar theme:

Tortuga Rachel,  McGuffy Ann, and Vapid Vixen asked me similar questions this past week so I thought I would compile them and 'feature' them here this week.  They all had a similar 'theme' of most miserable/worst/oddest travel memory, and then Rachel went over and above and asked two more - here is her list:
1. What is your WORST travel memory?
2. When your kiddos are all growed up, do you plan to travel more? Where would you go?
3. What do you hope your kiddos get/learn from traveling?

1. Worst/Most Miserable/Oddest Travel Memory - 
This face says it all.  I call this photo 'Grump-butt'.  In 2008, we traveled to Oranjestad, Aruba.  It was our first time out of the country and our arrival was a bit of a nightmare.  Once we got there from the airport, we had no idea what to do for food.  We had no means of transportation.  We were staying in a one-room studio with one of those beds that drop down from the wall and a fold-out couch.  We did not speak the language, although many folks did speak a beautifully accented English.  We always travel on a budget, avoiding debt, and our first night there, we ended up at a very touristy restaurant because we didn't know what else to do.  I am not kidding, we spent nearly $100 for a family of four...and I ordered a diet coke in a glass the size of a small can of tomato paste (no refills) and a lukewarm bowl of soup.  We all tried to be conservative - and the bill was nearly $100.  I immediately went into 'panic - the worst of all worst is happening' and figured we'd be broke in two days, and having to bum morsels from the vending machines, but then we couldn't afford those either.  After that experience, we left the overpriced disappointment and got on a bus (this is where I am in the picture - the bus stop) to go to a grocery store and load up - surely we could eat more economically that way.  It only got worse - here we were - all four of us, bumbling around a strange grocery store where none of the signs were readable to us, the currency was baffling, and it was growing dark outside.  Then we realized - are we going to haul all of this on the bus back???  What now?  It was awful.  Finally Hubs decided to make an executive decision to go back to the condo and sleep on it.  It had been a long day of travel and we were all tired.  Solutions would be clearer in the morning.  They were.

In the morning, we got up and told the kids they had to stay in the room while we took a taxi back to the store.  Hubs and I were able to navigate the store easier without the kids making requests.  He figured out the rate of exchange and we did manage to come out better by shopping for our meals there.  Bonus:  there is no open container law, so to celebrate a problem solved successfully, we cracked open a couple of ice cold bottles of Balashi in the back seat of the taxi as he took us and our bounty back to the resort.  We also decided to rent a car, and it made a world of difference to get to venture the beautiful island.  I learned a lot from my first out-of-country experience.  It turned out to be another one of our 'best' family vacation memories.  And that dual bed situation together out in the living room?  We had more laughs when the lights were out - singing the name game and telling corny jokes until we all drifted off to sleep.
Day at Baby Beach

View from our balcony

2.  Kiddos all 'growed' plans to travel - 
   I can hardly believe it but I am pretty much there - my two kids ARE nearly grown, graduating my 'baby' in a few short months.  Yes, travel is forefront in future plans, as time and schedules and finances permit.  As far as where would I go?  Where WOULDN'T I go!?  Just about anywhere - but I know that there will be more return trips to Nicaragua as building has begun (post on that forthcoming).

3.  What I hope my kids get/got from traveling:
  I have thought very intentionally about this very question.  First of all, I hope that they have gleaned from the experiences that travel is priceless - better than any material object they could possess.  I hope that as they embark out in life and possibly start families one day, that they will also weigh the benefits of a shared travel experience against giving their children the latest of something and opt for the trip every time.  Second, I hope that they have been instilled with a wonder and curiosity at the world and a thirst for learning more, but not just in books but in actually experiencing things - tasting, touching, seeing, hearing new things.  Third, especially in their international travels, both with us, and on their various mission trips, I hope that they see the beauty and value in ALL cultures. That they would realize that we humans are all essentially the same, want the same things, and are good.  I hope it has given them that crazy love for people that I have to want to embrace the whole world.

(blushing...)  In my haste to hit the sand, I forgot the linky thingy....here go...

28 comments:

  1. Oh, darn, I missed week two's question. I had planned a post, but the week got away from me! Oh well, I'm moving on and I'll be sure to post about my favorite place for feeling centered this week!

    I love the ocean, too. It inspires and soothes me, as does nature in general.

    I went to Aruba once. I met some friends there while I was living in Honduras. They were going on the trip and wanted to treat me by having me meet them in Aruba. It wasn't my favorite place I've ever visited, we found it to be expensive, too, and also not terribly exciting. But it did have some lovely spots and it has the ocean, of course. We ended up having a great time just being together and hanging out. Whose on the trip with you will make or break a trip, no matter how beautiful, boring, exciting, or disasterous a place is, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jump on back in, Kianwi.

      I can't say Aruba was my favorite of all locations except for the memories. We ended up having a blast!

      Delete
  2. This entire post was a wonderful read, Carrie! It has a tone of peace, faith, and inspiration. I am in love the beach too, yet have only touched ocean waters three times in my life. I feel a total sense of calm there. What I liked best was your answer to your the final question above, if your children have aquired half of this love and appreciation for others it is because their mother has inspired them and taught them well about the real value of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie, you are so sweet, as always. The tone reflects how I am feeling right now - peaceful, full of faith that all is as it should be and inspired. I hope I can hang on to it forward.

      I hope my kids have caught on to the mad crazy love of others. That is why we're here, after all. I sure hope they have.

      Delete
  3. Where are you?
    I am totally envious but happy for you!
    You do look quite torked off in that photo.
    I feel relaxed and calm on the beach and when I lay in the warm afternoon sun in my hammock.
    I think the calmest I ever felt was in Hawaii at breakfast on the balcony having fresh oj snd sitting with my husband with no budget ( a rarity) and 6 days of freedom ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At Myrtle Beach, mah frien'. It has been just what I needed to unwind a bit (a LOT!)

      I do credit some of the good vibes I feel while on the beach to all the negative ions a' floatin' around in the air. That helps!

      I have had that sense of calm a few times in my life. They are priceless.

      Delete
  4. Color me simple, color me plain, but the place I go is nothing special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some simple and plain! Special to you IS special, my friend! :)

      Delete
  5. That picture of you looking not so chipper is absolutely priceless. I've had that look myself on a few trips. I'm glad it turned out well and I LOVED your answer to what you hope your kids get out of traveling.
    My question for his week, a little cliche but I'm curious. If you were sent to a deserted island and could only take 3 items and 1 companion, what and who would they be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah - nothing like getting your mug taken whilst your buttocks were planted firmly upon your shoulders. Lovely. Ha ha. It did turn out to be an awesome trip so I am grateful.

      As for your question: iiieeeeeyyyy - I always have trouble answering questions where I am limited in number or variety/selection. Hmmm....especially if I am limited in persons - take Hubs and not kiddos? Take one kiddo over the other? Hurt my Mama's feelings? She'd never speak to me again if I up and left her - ha ha, kidding (I think...). Okay, I'm going to go all crazy fantasy and just pick an either/or - Here goes madness...

      1) I'd take Jack Kerouac OR Mother Teresa - I don't think we would EVER run out of things to talk about.

      2) Items - Bible, a journal that never runs out of paper (a pen goes with it - doesn't count as item 3), and a frozen beverage machine...:)

      Delete
    2. I KNOW! I hate these kind of questions! That's why I was curious what your answers would be.
      Love what you came up with. I'd go with Kerouac over Mother Teresa. Otherwise I'd just end up feeling judged every time I dropped the F-bomb. ;)

      Delete
    3. You are too muc! Funny -

      I think that Mother Teresa wouldn't judge you, just love you to pieces!

      Delete
  6. I so love the ocean & those were some super answers to those questions!!
    so what is your never forgotten traveling essentials ?? I can never not have bandaids lol
    I need to go get my piece written & jump back with my link up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice!

      Never forgotten traveling essentials? I think I wrote about that at the tail-end of my last give-away...I can't remember what I wrote! I'll try to find it and post it in the next Question Post. :)

      I see you've linked up so I'm making my rounds to everyone's posts!

      Delete
  7. Post is up, and here's my question for the week... If you could erase one day from your life like it never happened, what day would it be? Have fun pondering on that one with your toes in the sand! Love ya! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, you are good at questions...whew...I have pondered and pondered this one. There are a few things that come to mind - and they are so personal and painful - and then I think that if I were to erase them, I wouldn't have learned/grown from them. But one day...okay - here 'tis: It was one day about two years ago, and I was in the midst of my autumn sadness and struggling so much with stress, being overwhelmed and miserable in my job - I was headed to work on a Monday (of course, right?) extremely tired from having worked ALL WEEKEND and still not feeling prepared. I was crying on the way to work - and I didn't see the faint brake lights of an old Honda in front of me stop to turn left and I hit them. No one was hurt, and it all worked out but that was a horrible day. Felt like I was in a fog ALL day. So I'd erase that one for sure.

      Delete
    2. That would surely be an unsettling day that could easily be erased without greatly affecting your life or learning as a whole. Work, as we know it, does indeed tend to suck us into a pre-occupied state of mind where we lose awareness of life going on around us. I wish there were other options, I really do. I am glad no serious injury was done.

      As I wrote this question for you, I was pondering my own answer to it, and came up with a similar response, that the days I'd most like to erase were probably critical to the formation of who and what I am now, though I wish I could have found a less disturbing way to arrive at my destination in life! ;-)

      Delete
  8. Hello, my friend!

    You know, it's funny how one of your worst vacation memories also turned out to be one of the most memorable family trips as well. For the good reasons. We have an experiance like that as well. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Actually, it's one of the only trips to the ocean that I was glad to leave. I hope one of your questions allows me to tell you the story. :)

    Trying to get some time to squeeze in a post on this question before Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My frien' Ken!!!!!

    Your mug has been missed around here on comments and such but I can completely understand being buried with work and etc. Glad you stopped by!

    So hey - why don't YOU pose the question!!! That would be cool! I can do a guest question!!! Send it and we'll do it! :) Then you can tell that story that I can't wait to read!

    Get your post in! I am wondering if your placed of centeredness is your tractor? Or your porch? Camper? :) Can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Then, I pose this, because I think it's a wonderful, making the best out of bad situations question.

    Have you ever been on a vacation or trip, that while things didn't go as smoothly as you had liked, something wonderful happened to make up for all the bad?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am just seeing this after I posted my question for this week! Phooey! I have an idea though - let's plan on this being the question for NEXT week AND you be my guest blogger on here to answer it! And of course, post it on your blog as well! What do ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to do that! I have the story in my mind for it. we may need to have a little email pow wow to figure out the best way to tackle the cross over thing? But certainly, I'm in. :)

    I suspected that I might be late with the question. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope I'm not too late for this one. Sorry for the extra link up on the the last question, we're having some technical (or bad cats messing with the router) difficulties here.

    So, did the trip to the beach inspire this week's question, or did you already have it planned? Also, did you ever live at the ocean? My aunt maintains that people who have, especially if they were born there, are forever drawn there, so I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're good to go!

      Yes - the trip did influence the question - I realized that what helped to ground me (the ocean) might not be the same for everyone so I wondered what centered others.

      No - I haven't lived there yet and I was born about as far as I could be from the ocean - ha ha. I have sensed since I was very young a strong draw there. It's unexplainable, really.

      Delete
  14. I posted #3 just now...trucking has interfered with blogging...I am catching up and will get #4 in sooner.You are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is that going? Sounds really adventurous and fun! I can't wait to read all of your posts about it!

      Glad you could jump in from the road! :)

      Delete
  15. born about as far as I could be from the ocean - ha ha. I have sensed since I was very young a strong draw there. It's unexplainable, really. birkin bag

    ReplyDelete