November 11, 2012

Thanksgiving First Question #6

Yesterday, I had the blessed fortune to come across a particular movement of sorts going on in the blogosphere about the holidays.  I was first introduced to the concept of Thanksgiving First by Joe of Cranky Old Man.  If you haven't popped on over to his blog from my sidebar, do it.  Funny (and very insightful) stuff!  As a bonus, I discovered a delightful NEW (to me) blogger, Jim as in THE Suldog Jim.  You must also check him out, post haste.  Or haste directly over there AFTER you post your link for this question...you get the idea.

If you are just joining my blog posts, we are on the homestretch of a contest give-away.  For a trip.  You can check out the details here The Great GET-AWAY Give Away.  It is not too late to join in!  DO IT!

Jim's post echoed my thoughts, and sometimes my ranting, every time I would walk into a store IN OCTOBER or see a Christmas commercial when my doorbell is ringing with little dressed up cherubs or hear radio stations roll out the holiday tunes early.  My family knows this about me and now I KNOW I am not alone in my sentiment:  I believe the Christmas season should be reserved for AFTER Thanksgiving.  So I'll save more of my reasoning for my official post and get on with the question:




How do you feel about the holidays this time of the year, particularly the ever-melding of ThanksChristgivmasing that is continually being 'pushed' more and more each year?

Please know that you are free to share however you view this time of year.  I respect your views completely.  I just happen to be a traditionalist when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas.  So in your post, tell us where you lean - are you a staunch traditionalist or do you roll out the carols and the peppermint mocha everything in October?  What IS your favorite holiday?  IF you happen to be of the 'Thanksgiving Comes First' camp, entitle your post as such and keep the movement going.  Spread the word via your words!  If not, deck your halls and bring on the eggnog!

As for me, I often get curious looks when I say that Thanksgiving is one of my top favorite holidays.  Particularly in Christian circles, 'What?!?!  You mean Christmas isn't your favorite holiday?  Are you seriously besmirching baby Jesus lying in a manger?'  No.  They don't really say that but facial expressions communicate so much.  I then proceed to also say that 4th of July probably ties Thanksgiving for first and I have just then committed heresy.  I do have fun with that. 

First of all, Christmas and Easter for me aren't holidays.  They are a way of life that I seek daily.  What they mean to me, and what the world says they are clashes so mightily that it could be compared to a sonic boom.  For me, if my life isn't reflecting a humility echoing from a dusty, hay-filled manger, and my day-to-day isn't laying down my life for another in one small way (or big) or another, its ALL a clanging noise...and sparkle...and tinsel and distraction.  So the chasm between what our culture calls Christmas and what my heart knows is miles apart.

Second, I came to love Thanksgiving as a holiday in all its simplistic goodness as an adult, particularly when I was somehow deemed Chairperson and CEO of everyone's holiday good cheer, and suddenly I found myself in the role of being in charge of 'creating' the perfect Christmas environment, gathering and then purchasing (and budgeting) for all the gift shopping, writing,addressing and stamping cards,  planning and preparing all the world of gluttony goodies, coordinating and negotiating family gatherings (and THIS was one of our BIGGEST point of contentions in our earlier married days).  For me, Christmas went from being a magical wonderment as a child to a season of stress and spending that left me worn out and tired by January one.  I am not singling out the guys here but I think I can hear a resounding 'Amen sister!' from my gals from around the globe.  I don't 'own' that role anymore and have changed much of what I thought I had to do for the holidays.  It is quite freeing.

Thanksgiving has managed to get through the first 200 years of our country's existence unscathed by commercialism.  Other than turkeys, you don't have to buy a single thing.  I am actually amazed that some store or company somewhere hasn't figured out how to 'market' Thanksgiving.  I think they have tried.  Hallmark has the card section for Thanksgiving cards with all the brown and orange and yellow envelopes, but to those I say, 'meh'.  I think most people would agree.  

Okay, okay - let me stop here before you all start calling me 'Grinch' or huffing 'bah humbug' my way.  I am not saying I don't enjoy Christmas - I can get my mistletoe-chestnuts-over-an-open-fire on and get into some fa-la-la.  It's a focus thing for me.  

Third, an issue with all this holiday identity confusion that you may not have thought about before:

Bringing out the Christmas clutter on the shelves at the same time as the Halloween junk is INCREDIBLY confusing to the little ones.  Seriously, people!  I would say before second grade or so, when they are still learning how to tell time and read a calendar and a concept of time is vague and they are reliant on us grown ups to orchestrate and schedule their days, throwing a cardboard cutout of Santa on the shopping aisle in the fall is terribly confusing to those little babies.  They don't understand.  They trust US to guide them safely through life and time until they can understand it on their own.  I know this because I taught these cherubs and I will never forget  some sweet loves thinking Santa was coming "next week" because they saw the Christmas stuff out at 'Walhell'.  We had not even had Halloween yet.  I had to explain to them that we encounter Halloween first, count the days and then Thanksgiving, then more days and then Christmas.  We drew a timeline.  We used buttons to count on a calendar so that in some concrete way to grasp an abstract concept.  

Commercialism is selling out our kiddos and they become a 'bottom dollar'.  They want your sweet offspring to start whining through their Spiderman masks what they want for Christmas.  Who needs Thanksgiving (who's thankful, anyway?) when we have to get people in the stores to start their shopping now?

I could go on (trust me - ask mi familia).  I will spare you.  However, I will be found on November 22nd surrounded by what truly matters - family and friends, amidst my fall decor with a bountiful list of reasons to be grateful.  I am glad we do have a yearly reminder to be thankful.  Now if I can just have thanksgiving every day.

Update!  I just got this petition via email.  Timely since we are looking to 'take back' Thanksgiving.  Sign this petition asking that Target be closed on Thanksgiving.







Link up and share your thoughts on the holidays!




26 comments:

  1. Well said! Thanksgiving is the one day where families all get along...sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! Yeah - sometimes! At least we try!

      Delete
  2. Happy Sunday morning, my friend,
    I agree with you that the Christmas season starts was too early. Being a Canadian, I may be at a bit of an advantage, having had our Thanksgiving about a month ago now.

    Today is Rememberance Day. For me, that marks the calender as the point after which I can start turning on the Christmas spirit. I think Rememberance Day is an occasion that often gets overlooked. It's not a holiday in the "let's get everybody together" sort of thing. But it's a day that childern should know about and undersatnd that a lot of young men layed down their lives so we could continue to live the way we do.

    After that, I'm ready to get me some Christmas spirt. However, if I had to wait until the end of the month, I'd probably be fine with that too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good mornin' back atcha!

      I agree wholeheartedly that this day is also terribly overlooked. We do need to make sure that it is remembered, and those that sacrificed are honored. All the more reason to wait to begin ringing in the holidays closer to the end of the month. Even today on Veteran/Remembrance Day, it gets overlooked or muffled by the advertisements to start shopping early. Just ick.

      I am so thankful for the men in my life that have given their time and lives for our freedom - both grandfathers, my great-father-in-law that I never got to meet, my cousin, my brother-in-law currently serving Coast Gaurd in Alaska, my Mom's cousin who gave his all in Vietnam and lost both legs and an arm, and my Dad who served in the Air Force.

      My 'tradition' is such that if I happen to be home on Thanksgiving, I might start untangling lights that night (because that also ended up being my job because 'you're so good at it!') or I might wait until the next day and then it's 'on'. I usually crank up Diana Ross and The Supremes Christmas and herald in Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Saw your comment on Joe's post and had to check it our

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment! Very clever - Ivan Toblog. Veeeery clever!

      Delete
  4. So I saw your comment at Sully's and had to visit, figuring while I was at it I could like to my TCF post.
    It appears it will be an uphill battle, but us TCFers won't quit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and linking up! Great!

      Delete
  5. My rule is this: October for Halloween, November for Thanksgiving, December for Christmas. Just like the photos on the calendar pages :-) I used to work in a retail store back when the holiday season didn't start until the day after Thanksgiving, and believe me, that month of craziness was long enough! I don't know how today's employees stand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good guideline to follow! How simple is that??? I often wonder how the retail folks feel about all the Christmas falderal being in their faces (and ears, thank you music pumped over terrible speakers) so early. I couldn't do it.

      Delete
  6. Thank you very much for joining in. And thank you for bringing that petition to my attention. You are a beautiful person, a fine writer, and I'm glad Joe was a conduit for our virtual meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks for bringing the concept to the blogosphere's attention! Thanks and glad to meet you too!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Got that straight! Mmmmm Hmmm! (You can see my head rotation movement, right?) :)

      Delete
  8. I love Thanksgiving but hate Christmas I think what you wrote was awesome just so perfect why get things ahead of eachother. I need to get my post up be back to link up ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't necessarily hate Christmas - I despise what has been made of it. That's what happen when a fallen world EVER tries to compete with the most Perfect Gift ever. The best it can do is a loud, gawdy, clutter-y, tacky, mess.

      Thank you for your kind words! And thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  9. This post resonated so strongly with me Carrie, as you'll see from my lengthy response post! :-) I'd love to see Christmas return to a time of being magical instead of maniacal!

    My question for you this week as we head into the end of the year is... What things have you learned about yourself and life this past year? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Christmases sounded very similar. I don't know how children aren't just dazed and confused these days - well, honestly many of them are, and cranky with stimuli overload and the constant bombardment of want.

      I try to do my part and refrain from going to stores the day after Thanksgiving, and especially ON Thanksgiving...(that is a TRAVESTY!). I have decided to avoid stores that will be opening on Thanksgiving (TARGET). It's just not worth it.

      Great question, Josie - hmmm....I have learned that I can fall down, but I don't have to stay there long - not long at all. I have learned that I have definite limits that I MUST start paying more attention to. I have learned that so much of our outlook on life depends on our attitude toward various situations. It's been a full year!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE Thanksgiving too! We had to celebrate early this year due to hubby's work schedule, but it worked out well. What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving traditions and/or recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the idea of celebrating it early! Might have to give that a whirl next year!

      I am not sure we have any specific traditions per se, but I LOVE to get up and get the turkey started early and then pile up in the living room in my pj's to watch the parade. If I have plans to set up the tree that night, I am usually swathed in strands of lights to untangle.

      We have the traditional southern style Thanksgiving dinner - gravy as a side dish, of course. We love the marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes. Of course you also have to have every starch represented - mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn casserole, rice..you name it.

      Yum!

      Delete
  11. In typical fashion, cutting it close...again. I know my answer wasn't the popular answer but it was honest.

    Now for my question for you. If you had to replace the usual Thanksgiving turkey with one of the following, which would it be and why? Your options are:

    a) gym sock soup.
    b) Octopus tentacle suckers. Just the suckers. Not the entire tentacle.
    c) Pickled goats testicles.

    Bon Appétit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sliding into home! Girl after my own heart!

      You know what? I am glad for the variety! If we all thought the same, the world would be so boring. You actually presented quite an approach - live and let egg nog in terms of folks that want to get their holly jolly on a whole lot earlier. I guess where it gets my craw is when the commercialism encroaches all over the intent of family, friends, being thankful, etc.

      Ew! What a question!

      I will go with the tentacles. TENTtacles, NOT TESTicles. I reason that at least those would be properly washed before preparing. The gym sock, I am assuming would not be washed. When I think about what the texture of the goat testicles might be? That alone would send me gagging. I 'think' I could deal with a boingy, chewy sucker. The danger might be if those things adhered all the way down the esophagus. Yikes!

      It is confirmed - I would have a blast over chips and 'ritas with you! Ha ha! You crack me up!

      Delete
  12. I MADE IT! Thanks Carrie. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the Thanksgiving season should start when Halloween is almost over and the same with Christmas. Shopping and sales should begin the day after Thanksgiving and people should be with their families/friends on the holiday instead of looking for a cheap tv or video game system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I have been reading reports of folks that have been camping out in front of Best Buy since the other day....that is 4-5 days camping in a PARKING LOT, kids and all for a TV!!! They're going to stay on out there for Thanksgiving and everything. Insane. "You can't get that time back, people! The cheap plastic Chinese made junk will break in two years! The days you spent out there gone!"

      Delete