The threat of impending weather is always exciting around these parts. I understand the temptation to mock and make fun, but folks...let's be a little bit more gracious and know that OUR perspective is not necessarily someone else's. Yes. Those in the northern region scoff at our panic at the possibility of a 'flake' or two falling. Schools close when not a single flake has fallen. Businesses send employees home early. Employers nervously send messages to bosses, uncertain at the commute the next day or that night.
It may be nothing to you. But it is something to someone. Can we TRY to see life from others' vantage? You may be northern and savvy to the roads coated with ice and snow.
You know what? Most 'inclement weather' threats go unfounded here in the lower region. The warning is issued, and yes, cautious systems and companies cancel classes and operate shortened hours.
And then sometimes the roads are more than we can handle. We aren't used to ice-coated roads. We do not have the resources and equipment to manage this situation.
Is that a weakness? Surely not. It is what it is.
Give Grace. And when you think you have run out. Give it more abundantly.
I know. I 'braved' the quickly accumulating roads today. Fell in the door of my class, snow adorning my hair, and just recently melting on my nose as I entered and proclaimed, "happy snow day!!', knowing that most of the 75 minutes I would see my fresh-faced charges turning their gaze toward the windows, watching the white confetti fall, hearing the echoes of peers peeling their exuberation across the hills of campus. 'IT'S FREEZING OVER AT THE FALLS!!"
I heard this, as I jumped out of my car to head into the building and realized - we are ALL just children, precious in His sight. From the sight of Hubs jumping up and down, "It's snowing!" to the voices of students ringing out across the blanketed field - "It's snowing! Meet me at the Falls".
There is so much more to this life than the bottom line. The report. The 'end of the day'.
Folks were trying to get home. Walking miles if they had to.
TO GET HOME.
Home.
That place where warmth meets the 'world' behind you.
It is up to YOU if you invite the world in or kindly ask 'it' to make a place on your stoop, curl up in a towel, covered from the falling snow.
Today I closed the door on the world.
The stillness is unprecedented in awesomeness. In quiet. In 'the world isn't invited here.'
Yes.
I shut the door, and encouraged others to do the same - get out the sled. Have a movie night. PUT AWAY the lessons and standards for one night because you aren't going to get this moment again.
Just be and ENJOY.
Celebrate the minor moments.
They really are the major ones.

I love the snow, and yes we stay open a little longer because we are more used to driving and we have better equipment in New Jersey, but there are areas in Canada, Minnesota and the Dakotas that laugh at our problems when the temp drops to 15 degrees or we get more than 10".
ReplyDeleteThis is a thought provoking and timely post. This has been such a harsh winter for so many. My heart goes out to those who aren't equipped for it. Sometimes closing the door on the world is exactly the right thing to do.
ReplyDeletePeople often don't treasure the important moments while they're happening.
ReplyDelete