March 30, 2014

Not Knowing

I will not pretend to know what it must be like for the families of the passengers of Flight 370.  There are really no words to describe what they are going through, and have for the last 20 plus days.  I will not act like my experience is 'like' theirs.

And yet, EVERY human experience is just that- an individual, highly personal human encounter.  We really can not compare situations or circumstances, because to THAT person, what they are experiencing and feel, is VERY real, and raw, and true.  I have always taken the stance that I can not discount another's pain or sorrow because it seems insignificant to me.  It may be the whole world to that person going through it, and that is enough to validate and respect.

Conversely to my last post about 'knowing', not knowing can be one of the most painful, bewildering situations to walk through.  No matter the circumstance, when you don't understand, when you have no rhyme or reason, and you can't grasp anything solid to help you make sense of something, it can be maddening.  For those of us who think through every possible scenario, unless we relent to some sense of peace and trust in what is, we could drive ourselves to lunacy.

Particularly in the area of relationships with people, when you aren't sure if it was something you said, didn't say, failed to do, or did - well, there just isn't any way to know.

Not knowing what needed to be said.

Not knowing where to go from here.

Not knowing anything at all.

Except to Trust.




10 comments:

  1. Hello, my friend!

    I went through a time where the majority of my teenage nieces would share every issue they faced on facebook, as if it was the be all and end all, life altering dilemma. Some days it got to be a bit frustrating to see their posts because I knew that the life ahead of them was going to make these speed bumps they were facing seem like nothing at all. I suppose you're correct that to them, they were the biggest problems they faced, yet they've moved on to, for the most part, better lives with a whole new set of things to deal with.

    You never know what lies ahead. I plant every year with the hope of a good harvest, but there's a lot of variables in play between the seed to the bin. Sometimes the unknown weighs heavy, but you find the strength to keep moving forward.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, my friend,

      That last sentence - that says it all. You find the strength to keep moving forward. That is so true.

      I know what you mean about being witness to teen drama...and then I remember too, that I was there once - although, honestly, I wasn't all into 'drama', my friends and I were just chill, for the most part, and we certainly didn't have the means to plaster it all over the webosphere (thank GOD I was a teen back then!). Even still, I remember issues, and heartaches and problems that were very real, and still very painful, for that time in my life. With age, comes wisdom in knowing that there will ALWAYS be uncertainty and heartbreak along the way, but it is all in how we handle it.

      Delete
  2. I've never experienced anything like the loss of what those poor people are going through. The closest would be losing Stella but even typing that feels positively asinine. How do you ever continue to live your life after something like this? How would you even function? It makes my heart hurt just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean...but even as I read your story, my heart pained so much for you and for that 'unknowing' because it really doesn't matter that it isn't the same magnitude as an entire missing plane with precious people in it - it was YOUR sweet Stella, lost, and you couldn't know if she was hurt, or scared, or hungry...it was still very painful and difficult to you all the same.

      I think because we have such access now days to everyone's views, and everyone's opinions, we have gotten into some sort of comparison and judging of others' experiences, as if we could somehow quantify them on a scale, and it just isn't a fair thing to do. Not that I think life is fair, but it serves to only divide rather than bring together, and it is troublesome to me, for sure.

      Delete
  3. Every day we awaken to another not-knowing day. There may be things we expect, but life has a way of throwing us crazy curve balls that catch us by surprise.

    I've added myself to your blog followers. Have a great April Challenge.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for adding to my Followers!

      That is so very true - every day is a journey through the unknown, even when we think we have it all planned out. it is in how we respond that matters most.

      Happy April A-Z!

      Delete
  4. Stopping by from the A-Z list.

    Excellent post. I struggle with not knowing, but experience has helped to accept what comes, deal with things the best I can, and trust that everything will work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Tim, for stopping by!

      I like that approach. Quite appropriate for most all situations.

      Delete
  5. As humans we can only be true to ourselves, while trying to be sensitive to others. When I know someone is going through a rough time, I try to be there, in whatever way I can. I try to do what I think God would want of me. I can only pray it makes a difference. I trust God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm there with ya, McGuffy. It can be so hard, though, not knowing, and feeling out of sorts. But again, I trust too. I keep trusting.

      Delete