March 17, 2014

The More Things Change

This week's Listicles is the theme, 'Ten Things that are Not the Same as Ten Years Ago'.

Ten years ago - it was 2004.  It is incredible to take a frame of time and really look back, at how fast it truly goes by, and how much our lives change in the midst of it.

I am blown away at the changes personally from then to now:

In 2004, I:

1.  had been in our house that we built for a year.

2.  was still a reading specialist, in the middle of working on my Masters Degree.

3.  had not been in my 30's long.

4.  did not have a smart phone (those were the days...).

5.  had an eight- and ten-year-old.  (THAT just hit me right in the Mom heart.)

6.  drove over seven speed bumps several times a day to get to/from work and to run kids to practices. (Reason # 412 that we gave up the house we built.)

7.  had not heard of facebook, that was only a little over a month old at that point.

8.  had not yet discovered my love for adventure.

9.  still had my Papa and my aunt on this earth.

10.  still had my Dotsie (dachshund).

14 comments:

  1. Seven speed bumps would have done me in, too. But it leads me to all sorts of questions about the house you built.
    I didn't have a smart phone or Facebook account until 2 years ago. I'm usually a bit behind the rest of the world.
    Yes, in 2004, I was in the midst of raising a bunch of little kids. I miss those days sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we overlooked the seven speed bumps in, because the hill we bought perked high above the Chattahoochee River, up in the trees, away from most everything. And then we drove it. Every day. Twice. And sometimes six times. It was a bit too much.

      There are a lot of days that I realize just how simple my life was before so much technology, and connection. A haven for a true introvert, for sure.

      I miss those days too, sometimes. It was far simpler to have them under the same roof, breathing in slowly, the same night air.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing how quickly time passes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blinked and it was mid-March from the first of the year. Please tell me we're in some sort of time warp, speeding forward.

      Delete
  3. Fun!
    I had sn 8 year old and a 13 year old. Still had my mom and was still a waitress sn a resort (lost my mom and bought the restaurant 3 years later)
    Lived in our first house and had for 3 years. Spent most of my free time shuttling the boys to the various activities. Had some tough marriage problems. Was 34. Didn't blog, Facebook or have my own computer. Had a flip phone. Drove a GMC Envoy (finally got away from a minivan) and weighed less than I do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to look back. in just that short time, so very much has occurred. So much to look back and say, 'I lived through that.' I didn't even list all the land mines I crawled through to get here, to this moment. I survived. More than survived. I have been victorious.

      I would say we all have, in some way or another, haven't we?

      Delete
  4. Time has a habit of passing quickly when we aren't looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to admit it, but there were times I wasn't looking. Back then, I spent so much of my time crossing off 'to-do' lists, and getting through the day - I didn't look around much. Thankfully, that has changed. Time still passes quickly, but I can't say that I didn't catch the beauty in it as it sailed past.

      Delete
  5. I am always amazed at how things change so quickly. You can believe in it with all of your heart, but things can change in a heartbeat just because you are being true to yourself. You can't control anything but your reactions, because you have to live in your own skin. Peace, my friend. This isn't a bad list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always amazed too - and when you say it out loud...when you realize just how much time has flown, it makes you that much more determined to enjoy the moments, and to NOT take things for granted. You are so right - you really can't control much of anything, except how you respond, and that is all a choice.

      Peace, friend. I hope you are settling in back at home with all your fur babies, and that Bill is safe, wherever he may be. Peace to you as well.

      Delete
  6. Discovered you through Monday Listicles and I'm so glad I did! Isn't it amazing to look back and realize that 2004 was TEN years ago?? Even after writing my blog post and thinking about it, I'm not sure I'm willing to accept that fact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is crazy how time has flown. Five years ago seems an eternity.

      It makes me all the more aware to be more grateful for the moments we are given, and not to wish for what we don't have, but to look around and truly see all that we have is such an incredible blessing.

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is an amazing list, Carrie! And of course it started me thinking about my life ten years ago. If any one would have told me in those extremely dark days how wonderful my life would be just ten years later, I would have laughed in disbelief! We have very little control over the passage of time, but we have a great deal of control over the choices we make on how we spend that time and who we spend it with. I've learned to make much better choices, and to value myself enough to do what's right for me, and for those I love. I am grateful for the lessons of time.

    Technology, has brought wondrous capabilities to our lives, and I wouldn't give my Internet connection up for anything, but it has also taken from our lives.. time... personal interaction... and activity, to name a few. Like so many things in life, it is both a blessing and a curse.

    I haven't known you ten years, yet, but I see amazing changes in just the short time we've been friends. You will be a force to reckon with my the time you reach sixty, hoping I get to see that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In 2004... had not been in my 30's long either. Hadn't been ill for twenty years too. Half my family was still alive back then and I was rich. But I'm much wiser now and I bet so are you. :)

    ReplyDelete