March 23, 2014

Sand in the Junk Drawer

I haven't done a Junk Drawer post since January.  It is time, once again, to rummage and locate an extra hinge, the spool of fishing line and the random #8 birthday candle (can I go back and be 8? 28?  Even 38???).  I have determined I now have about 62 posts left to 1000.  I think that I am set on aiming for that number, and soon.  It's time.  I have tentatively toyed with the idea of linking up with the A-to-Z Challenge once more, and while it would be QUITE the challenge (to manage a post a day), it would expedite my goal to get to the 1000th post.  I don't know that I would have a theme, and I certainly don't have pre-planned posts but would just jump in and see what happens.

So there's that.

I believe my blog friend, Funny, asked for pictures of my location last week.  My last post was about Waiting, specifically waiting for the sunrise.  I didn't take a lot of pictures but borrowed a couple from my daughter, who is ALWAYS taking pictures.  Here are a couple:

Our time out on the beach to wait for the sunrise.  We were wrapped in bed blankets, donning pajama bottoms and chacos (because at the beach it is perfectly acceptable to wear pj bottoms out in public.). There's nothing like it.  

The first few days it was VERY cold and overcast.  We spent much of that time bundled up in the condo, catching up on rest, reading, and movies.  For some, it could have been a complete 'bust' to get to the beach, anticipating days in the sun and sand and finding themselves stuck inside, but it was a welcome reprieve.  

After a couple of days, we finally decided that we HAD to get out, so we made our way to a stretch of shops that are normally teeming with vacationers in the warm months.  It was barren except for the birds taking up residence along the railings.  We found a coffeehouse to stop and warm up.  Behold what I found inside:

People, each table was a metallic surface, covered in WORDS!!!  Magnetic Poetry waiting to happen!!  I haven't done any Fridge Poetry in a while (I am not sure why) but here is my Magnetic Table Poetry:


I guess this Junk Drawer is becoming a short summary of my week at the beach for spring break.  Fabulous - some sense of cohesiveness.

In keeping with this theme, I find that people watching at the beach is an unending source of amusement and curiosity.  There were a few observations from this last trip to the shore.  First, a witnessing of two groups of complete (an unlikely) strangers becoming fast friends.  Our first day out in the sun found us next to a group of three ladies, probably in their mid-to-late sixties.  They came out to the sand dragging chairs from the pool area (currently seasonly closed), a boombox, circa 1987, a cooler on wheels and bags of towels, sunscreen, coozies.  It was early afternoon but they had already been hitting the blender.  Their loud chatter and laughter gave them away.  Next to them, a group of college girls, absorbed in their phones, selfies, and their own conversations.  The next thing I knew, the two groups met, and merged, and I heard snippets of introduction and 'Where are you from?', more laughter.  One of the more 'seasoned' ladies went back up to her room, returning with a stack of cups and a pitcher of mojitos.  Take one down, pass it around.  Cheers and new friends.  They talked for a while longer, both groups joining in with a group of young men throwing frisbees and footballs (THAT was humorous!) and a good time was had by all.

Then there was this couple:
They were absolutely adorable.  Also probably in their sixties, they came walking out with their chairs and a convenience store, wind up disposable camera.  They came out there holding hands.  After setting up their chairs close, the husband proceeded to remove his shirt and start striking funny poses - body builder pose and flexing in different stances.  She was snapping pictures between laughter, head thrown back, mouth open.

This shot was one in a series I took of them standing together, while he was doing something  - removing sand from her chin?  brushing her hair from her eyes?  I don't know, but it had to have been the sweetest moment I have ever witnessed. Right after this shot, I snapped another, of her head bent forward on his chest.  Later, they found a pair of ladies walking by to snap their picture together, posed in a kiss.

Maybe I could create a story about these two.  It is certainly a rare and beautiful one, for sure.  Just beautiful.

14 comments:

  1. A-Z - go for it! Think short posts and come what may! :-)

    Sunrise at the beach - breathtaking, a reminder of all that is beautiful and good.

    New groups interacting - I love it when that happens, fun memories that will leave all of them smiling in the months to come! We are all family.

    The couple... that's what real love is all about, I know because I have that! I'd love to see you write a story for us based on these two.

    I'm sorry that your first days of vacation were cold and wet, we've had that happen. But just getting away to a new place, away from home and all the "should do's" is restful and good. One last push ahead and you'll soon be gearing up for summer and hammock time! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I will consider it. I might be signing up last minute but okay. Nothing new here.

      I'm not sorry the first few days of vacation were cold and wet. I needed to sink into the grey and let myself just be. It is a good thing.

      Yes, I stretched out in my long forgotten hammock the other 'rare' warm day and it was lovely.

      Delete
  2. Forgot to add that only you could find yourself I a coffee house that has "table poetry" waiting for your magic touch. That made me smile, a sure sign that God was smiling on you too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your posts. Your couple here is a real life walking poem. Thanks for sharing. I needed that. Hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved watching them, like a creep stalker, I'm sure, but they were so amazingly intimate, and beautiful and completely oblivious to their surroundings. Their world was found right in the midst of their embrace.

      Delete
  4. As soon as I saw this couple, I thought they were customers of ours. Where are you? I am going to ask them if they went on vacation recently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you find out if that was them? If so, I would LOVE to interview them!!!

      Delete
  5. Like you I love watching people have fun at the beach. Sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. People-watching has to be one of my favorite pasttimes.

      Delete
  6. This reminds me that I hope my wife and I will be healthy for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that it gave you a 'hopeful' one day.

      Delete
  7. Isn't it fun to watch people on the beach? There were a few weddings last time we were there, and it was neat see them. That coffee shop looks awesome!

    You should sign up for A to Z! It will be fun. I'm doing it this year, and I'm really excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love people-watching!!

      I am considering it...over at the site now, getting up the nerve!!!

      Delete