To be fair, I am admitting that:
A) I am a Monday Listicles and a half late to the party. (Surprise!) I still 'owe' from last week's topic (How I Show Love), and I reeeeaally want to write on that one. I'll get to it.
B)I have addressed this week's topic before in a post - Ten Things I would Tell My Sixteen-Year-Old self, from when I did my last give-away, so I am going to post that as a re-run so that I can connect up with the Listicle group and join in. If you've read it already, my apologies.
I am an obnoxious freak when it comes to the 80s. This was another of my faves. I feel graced somehow to have been the age of sixteen during this decade. I was proud of my eightiesness. I carried all that pride and fortitude hidden in my hair. Apparently.
When your hair no longer fits inside the frame of a camera lens? It's big enough for the 80s. I stunk at math, but was a GENIUS at geometry - I could make my hair into a perfect equilateral triangle.
So, step into the way back machine -
What would you tell your sixteen-year-old self?
1. Invest in hair spray.
2. Might want to reconsider passing the Capri Suns at lunch to share. Mono willknock.you.out.
3. You know deep down, the person you really are. Quit listening to all the voices and tune in to the one inside of you.
4. Not to freak you out or anything, but be prepared - in four years you will get married. In another four you will have two babies.
5. Heard the term kissing cousins? For the love of all things sacred and holy, run. Fast. (shudder)
-don't worry...if you need the story, geez...I will try to dredge it up from the recesses.
6. Baby girl, you will find your voice. It stays hidden now because the world just isn't ready for what you have to say. Just hang on. Oh, and one day? You will not be painfully shy anymore. Crazy. I know.
7. DON'T give up your true love - writing. For anyone or anything. I'll say it again -DON'T.
8. In your life, you are going to find out just how strong you are. You have no idea. Just wait.
9. That journey that started with the Petra song on the tape you wore out in the darkness in your room? Hang on. Seatbelt fastened. All limbs inside the vehicle. It IS going to be a wild ride.
10. Never, never, ever settle for anything less than butterflies.

weren't the hairstyles outrageous! OMG...I look back and just laugh at myself, thought I was so cool.
ReplyDeleteThat last, never settle for anything less than butterflies...yeah that brought tears to my eyes. Great list and better late than never, right?
It is GREAT to look back at the hairdo's. Wow!!
DeleteAlways butterflies!
Thanks for visiting my blog--love this post! And the big hair!!
ReplyDeleteI missed last week's listicle, too, but that does sound like a good prompt.
Marie at Every Day Is a Miracle
www.marie-everydaymiracle.blogspot.com
Thanks for coming by mine!!
DeleteI had a lot of hairspray up in there!! Ha ha!
My sixteen year old self wouldn't listen to anyone MY age.
ReplyDeleteStephen!!!!!
DeleteI have to agree-you are right there.
I am a true 80's girl myself - loved your sixteen candles references! They make me so nostalgic... Thanks for sharing! :)
ReplyDeleteTotally!! :)
DeleteI too was a child of the 80s with the big hair to prove it! Love your #10!
ReplyDeleteI'd tell myself to get a job. Also, adults are full of you know what.
ReplyDeleteI miss the eighties. Should I be worried?