Beauty in dark contrasts
I fear I may have painted too rosy a picture by what I have posted so far, but what I share stems from a people and a place that have found their way into my bloodstream. I paint the lovely colors that you see because I see the depth of beauty that can be found beneath the heartbreaking poverty, and there is quite a bit of that. Then I wonder, do they really feel they are lacking anything, or is it our opulent view that makes them appear so, to us? I tend to see that they live simply, but I yet do not know what basics many go without on a daily basis. It is rather hard for me, actually, to be rolling through with money to spend and I know that one bill I extract from my wallet could feed a family for a few days, at least. I don't know how to make my understanding of this settle where I can grasp hold of it.
As I continue to ponder, here are some of the more 'every day' pictures of this place that has a hold of my heart.
Cars, bicycles, 4-wheelers and motorcycles line every street. There are no parking spaces per se, and also, thankfully, no charge to land there.
This is a nicer house in the area. Most are made of lean-to posts and tin, no windows or doors for more ventilation. Many of the locals downtown live in the space behind their shopfront. It doesn't look as if many have/use much electricity. Apparently it is very costly here. It is also unreliable. It went out last night several times, during dinner and during the night, hence all the fans stopped. Brace yourself - there is no air conditioning where we're staying - only pleasant Pacific breezes. I quite like it. It seems to fit my personal temperature perfectly. It does get stuffy when there aren't blades to stir the air.
Many of the people here travel about town on bicycles or small motorcycles. Fuel is absurdly outrageous so most find other means of transportation. What is both amazing and curious is that they think nothing of popping their little ones onto the front of a bicycle or wedge them, babies even, in between Pape and Mama on a motorcycle and head on down the road. It almost makes the over-the-top safety seat laws in the U.S. where kids have to be in a booster until they're 14 (there's my exaggeration) seem laughable. Granted, they do not travel down the road at the speeds we do there, but still. You do what you have to do.
(*Power just went out again - it is a third world country, after all.)
This is an escuela. It seems fairly basic and open and the students seem to attend school in half day shifts. They all wear uniforms. Their laughter rings out under the massive trees that shade their schools.A common sight - Mama or big sister walking a gaggle of brown-skinned babies up a dirt road.
It is helpful to remember: this is a third-world country. They have way less than we could ever imagine. Maybe the secret is, they have all they need for a contentment we have not known. Being here restores the desire in me to strip of everything that has become superfluous and keep only that which I need for the moment. I think it is possible. I aim to try.

Amen, sister. I've always found that the smiles on the faces of people who, as you put it, live simply, are more wondrous, grateful, and beautiful than the smiles of the privileged. It seems they have really had to earn their smiles, yet they give them freely when the mood fits. When we honeymooned in St. Lucia, we stayed at a beautiful resort, but my favorite part was getting off the resort and seeing the gorgeous faces and simple living of the citizens. It really gives you a respect for what actually matters in life and what "need" really means.
ReplyDeleteSo very true, Melanie. My main objective when I walk about down the streets is to smile and practice my best 'hola'! They are gracious in offering greeting in return. They are just beautiful to me. I can't explain it, but I found myself longing to hug them all when I was here before. I refrained, but grinned at them like a loony gato, instead! :)
DeleteI remember visiting an island in French Polynesia and our guide said there were no jobs on the island, but there was no poverty. Nobody had anything; when you got hungry you dove into the ocean and caught yourself a meal. Sounded great, yet the lifespan of these people was only forty-eight years because they all grew tobacco and smoked themselves to death.
ReplyDeleteEvery paradise has a serpent.
This is so true on all points. There is a type of 'moonshine' that is produced there that is quite potent, and I saw quite a few local men passed out on the sidewalks. I think there's probably a catch-22 to all societies, as long as imperfect people are involved.
DeleteIt's funny because I often think I would do far better living like that. I wasn't meant for all this STUFF we have. Not that I don't enjoy my cable and my a/c, but I know for a fact were it gone tomorrow, I'd be totally okay with it.
ReplyDeleteMy neighborhood is a ton of working poor. I am not wealthy at all, but I am by far the wealthiest of anyone on my street. It pains me to see older Mexican ladies with sheets in the windows. Especially when they have a ton of their grown kids coming over and eating their food, and not helping them out around the house. I always want to ask the lady next door if I can help her with her yard work, but I don't want to impose.
I bet your neighbor would be pleasantly surprised if you joined her one day in the yard to help. You just never know. It's all about relationship building, and I have found that, in general, people are quite the same everywhere as far as basically being good people with the same desires - to provide for the families, to work and to play, and strive to enjoy life.
Delete