No - this is not about the movie, or any reference to Mel Gibson. I want to know about your courage. I have SO MANY questions I want to try now, that I have two drafts going, and a bazillion others swirling about the noggin. I am quite sure now I will be sad to have this Give-Away come to a close. (Incidentally, I have another one I'm pondering. I will save it for later, but it's going to be goooooooood.)
So here's my question:
Have you ever had a time in your life that you have had to be particularly brave? Describe that time.
Not that I am She-Woman or anything, but when I thought about answering this question myself, several things came to mind that I could share - the act of parenting itself requires great bravery (parenting that is done well...it is hard), the time my son had the seizures last fall Stricken to Greater Faith, or the time I was met at my school after a field trip with my class by police and a crazed mother, thinking I had kidnapped her son (never wrote about that), or the time on my road trip that I awoke having stupidly fallen asleep with my car hatch open to find two men standing outside my vehicle in the middle of the night -Purpose.
I thought about my recent trip back in May to Chicago. As is typical of me, I haven't gone back to finish writing about that, but I will post a short snippet here. One of my friends, upon learning that I was going to Chicago - a place I'd never been, said, 'You're so brave. I could never do that.'
For me, I could never NOT travel solo, but I recognize that there are elements to what I do that require bravery. One such thing is venturing out in new locations (some times potentially dangerous locations) by yourself.
My Mama wasn't all too keen on the idea that I was going to 'a big city' by myself. That's right - I am a grown woman with teen/near-adult children, and she still frets at my doing things like this. I kind of understand - apparently my daughter has taken notes...she wants to do a beach trip like my Hammocks Beach one with a couple of her friends...and I was like, 'Ummm...let's talk about this later. MUCH later.'
But I digress. So my Mom and I talked every day/evening while I was there in Chicago and she loved that. She was particularly fond of calling around, ooooooh, 8:00ish to see that I was tucked away, safe and sound behind my hotel door, chain across the frame, bolt in place, chair securely under the doorknob, in my pjs in front of tv.
I don't go to new places to hide away in my hotel/place of lodging to curl up and do what I could very well do at home. I travel very differently than a lot of people. I thrive on expeiences. So when I go somewhere, I want to experience it in its wholeness. Part of that is getting out to some of the more 'local' places.
So one such night she called 'to say hey' (i.e. make sure I was bolted behind closed doors) and she asked what I was doing.
Me: 'I'm headed over to this cool restaurant I read about where they have sushi. I might try it."
Mom: 'Oh gag, sushi? Yuck. Well, I want to hear about it when you're done. Going back to the hotel after that? (subtle hint...)"
Me: 'Eh no - Jeff (my bro) told me about this jazz club that I want to check out. I am going to go over there afterwards.'
Mom: ......silence....'*sigh...Please be careful. Let me know when you're back at the hotel.'
Me: 'Sure thing. I don't plan to stay long. Just want to check it out.'
So I walked on over to the restaurant and decided, once the waitress asked me if there were any health issues that might keep me from eating sushi (at the time, my heart) so I decided, instead to go for some little meat skewer things and try kangaroo and alligator. The alligator was like a tender beef and the kangaroo tasted like....._____________.
I ate by myself (obviously) which I also love to do but apparently for some this is an act that takes courage.
Afterwards I took the several blocks over and down to get to 'Blue Chicago' - one of the best jazz dives in town. I will have to share more about that (I hope). It was incredible. It was there I saw this band (don't know their name) and this singer (wish I could remember her name) that brought the house down with her song, "Fat Daddies".
Is she not awesome?
So here's the deal - I am brave, but I try really hard not to be stupid. I will walk city streets by myself and frequent interesting places that may or may not look a little seedy from the outside. But here are some 'safety tips' that I came up with on this outing:
- Walking unfamilar streets in big cities? Become a local. Walk like them. Dress/look like them. And for crying out loud, don't be craning your neck, mouth agape like a tourist. Be ninja subtle when referring to maps or your gps app on your phone (I act like all the other people phone obsessed, like I'm texting when I'm really looking at my phone following the little blue dot.)
- Have a plan. Go ahead and prepare for 'worst case scenario'. In this case, on the way to the restaurant, I was very alert and thinking, 'Okay, if someone comes up behind me and tries to grab me, throw that back round house kick you learned from the Taebo videos while reaching with your left hand (because I am left-handed) for the acrylic hair stick and turn swiftly to jab said sharp stick into creep's dangly bits. All this while screaming like a howler monkey.'
- Wear hair sticks when walking in these situations. They are potential weapons.
- Upon leaving an establishment at night (I think I left the club around 11 something) and you are obviously alone, have a plan. I had been there long enough for fellow patrons to know I was by myself. There were quite a few men in the joint, and some of them also by themselves. So I made my way across the dance floor to the powder room, thinking about how I would leave and not attract any unwanted followers. On my way out of the facilities, I put my phone to my ear, acting like I was trying to take a phone call. It was extremely loud so no one could know what I was saying but I was playing it up big like I was hurrying outside to hear my caller. I stood outside for a minute, still playing like I was on the phone to wait to see if anyone else came out. It was well-lit and still close to a place with lots of people. Better to be assaulted there than get a half a block away where there was no one. While standing out there having the most riveting conversation with no one on the other end, I 'ended' my call and proceeded to make sure my phone's gps locator was on. Reason? IF I was grabbed and nabbed, I would throw the phone nearby and trackers could pick up my last location.
- Last, I tried calling my mamacita. She'd asked me to call, and I reasoned that it would be less likely that someone would abscond me if I was on the phone, having an active conversation with someone and that person could hear me screaming and scuffling. Besides, look like a local. EVERYONE in Chicago walks fast talking on the phone. Mom didn't answer...(grimace)
- So I activated Siri - I NEVER use Siri - she annoys me. But she kept me company the entire way back, trying to 'understand' what I was saying as I pretended to have yet another spellbinding conversation. She was no fun to talk to...beep beep beep. 'I do not understand what you are asking.' 'I know Siri, I just want to hear your voice while I walk back at night by myself. Hang with me, seester. Gah.'
So there. I guess I'm brave for traveling alone, being that I'm female and all. You didn't know you were going to get safety tips to boot.
When were you brave?


I have had to do many brave things in my life. Moving out of a house full of heroin junkies and calling my folks to see if I could go live back with them for a while might not be brave to some, but it took all of the courage I had at the time. It's the only reason I've been drug free for five years and now own a home.
ReplyDeleteI travel alone quite a bit. I have found as long as I keep my head up and look people in the eye I'm fine. It's if you look frightened or out of place that people will mess with you.
THAT is incredibly brave. The thing about courage and bravery is that it is up to the individual what their bravery looks like...I guess, in actuality, my post wasn't so much about my bravery but the perceived notion that what I do when I travel solo is brave. To me, it's just a way of life and experience and adventure.
DeleteThat is so true about looking people in the eye. I do that too. I'm not afraid to engage people (and THAT is huge - big act of bravery for me because I used to be quite a shy, reserved person). You look like you belong there, you blend in better and you get left alone.
Interesting that you ask this question. I just wrote about the time i had to be brave. The post was called "A Towering Epiphany." If you missed it, check it out at Chubby Chatterbox.
ReplyDeleteStephen!! Hey!
DeleteI will definitely get on over and read it - and for grins, I'm going to count that as your bravery entry and hope that you'll join in for the last week of the contest! :)
Well you got me! I am stumped on this one. I am far far from a Braveheart. Seriously. All I can say is that I am not brave. In fact, if I was brave, I would be in a different place right now. I get scared. I panic. I react.
ReplyDeleteSome say that I am brave to have stayed in this town after #2 and I divorced. I have no one here. No family. It's just me. But brave is not the word, is it? I stayed because I am a mother. I could not fight and take my son away from his father and move away. He needs his father, so I chose to stay here in this town for him.
That's all I got.
I have vowed to make some changes in my life before I am 50. It will take a lot of courage..lets hope that I can find my Braveheart when I need it.
Whew....now, missy...for YOUR question:
Name ONE thing that you fear.
Until tomorrow.............
Robin - I personally believe that being a mother is one of the bravest things we can ever do. Brave and selfless. To stay, when you may have wanted to leave, and to remain near the ex when you probably wanted to flee IS one of the bravest things I can imagine.
DeleteI am with you, sending you that HOPE that you WILL stand up and have that courage you need to make those changes. I don't know what they are but you'll find your Braveheart, sweet friend. I read my devotional today and I thought of you because it was about HOPE. Scout's honor. :)
And mercy...what a question!!! I am actually going to compile the latest questions directed to me because there are quite a few and I have some serious catching up to do (haven't been home all day, tried blogging when I caught a moment this morning but it didn't last long...) I've jotted your question and will reference and answer it in one whole piece.
I have made a post to try to catch up in your contest because, well, I really, really want a hammock. I posted on my blog since it would be far too long for a comment.
ReplyDeletehttp://tortugarachel.blogspot.com/2012/07/catching-up-with-contest.html
I ran over and posted quickly on yours and joined your blog!!! Can't wait to catch up on it all! You are a sport! And I'm so glad you decided to come along!!!
DeleteHello, my friend!
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed by your traveling skills. Not sure that I could do the same.
It's funny how each of us defines brave. When I first started dating my wife, we had a lot of cows. Like 400 to calf and fed about 2500 head in a small feed lot. It was a lot of work but to breed 400 bows, you need a lot of bulls. They're not always the most cooperative of animals and sometimes can be rather nasty.
My wife sometimes tells about how once in a while when we were trying to load them on a trailer and they wouldn't go, I would jump in the pen and lure them to chase me down the alley and into the trailer. I'd then zip out the front door and slam it shut just before they escaped.
I'm not sure if that was brave or just part of the job description?
For me, it was just before my dad died, we had a bit of a supper at the local community for everyone that helped us getting our harvest in that year because we were short handed because he was sick. I was always way more comfortable hiding in the shop working on a tractor or in the field on one by myself. I gave a speech to thank everyone for their help, which scared the hell out of me but also opened the door a crack to being less shy.
Also, I got up when my dad had passed away and read a poem that I had written for him. Really, the first thing that I had ever written. Sometimes, you have to do the scary thing to grow?
That's a crazy story about the field trip! Hope it didn't take too long to get straightened out. Did you get to ride in the back of the police car? :)
Yes, I have thought so much about this since posting this question. Brave. What does that mean, and is it really one, standard, cookie-cutter Webster's definition? After hearing from those who have answered this question...it is all based on individual people and their perspectives, personalities and experiences. And this is what makes me love people even more...we really are so very uniquely crafted...in so many ways.
DeleteSo you just earned yourself a zillion stamps on your 'mancard'...I could picture you hopping into the pen to lure bulls to chase you...MAJOR mancard points. Yeesh - that is absolutely brave.
And then this is what endears me even more to ya, Kimosabe...you talk about luring bulls and then sharing this snippet about being scared witless for giving a speech and then reading a poem that YOU WROTE...for your dad's funeral....wow....(said with tears in my eyes.)
I am right there with you when it comes to shyness. I used to be terribly shy - and I HATED IT. Most people that didn't know me thought I was snobby or stuck up which is the FURTHEST from my personality and folks discover that once they get to know me. I was so painfully shy that in English high school class we were supposed to get up and recite a selection we were to memorize for the class. When my turn came, I could NOT do it. I froze. I just sat there - dying a slow death inside while my gum-popping peers stared.
BUT one thing I view as a positive that came out of that was that I developed a keenly sensitive sense of observation and discernment by watching the people and the world around me. When I was stifled by silence, and couldn't share my thoughts, I would become highly aware and observant of what went on around me. I also became a studier of hands - after meeting someone 5-10 minutes I can usually tell if you're wearing any rings, what hand(s) and any scars or other features about them.
Thankfully, I am not so shy now. I am not sure what changed, but I am a very different person than I was then. And you are so right, the scary things are what causes us to grow.
I am assuming your police car inquiry is your question to me? I haven't shared that story at length but am going to do a compilation of the questions that have come in, because I have some serious catching up to do, and will address THAT question there. :)
Being out and about alone in the big city at night is very brave as far as I'm concerned. Both of my kids do it all the time too, and are comfortable with it. They proably fit in as you worked at doing. I would be the one with eyes big as saucers, sticking out like a sore thumb... but then that happens to me in everyday life out in public too! :-))
ReplyDeleteOne time of great courage for me was a night when I made plans to leave home while my then husband was at his band gig. We had a disagreement earlier that day that became physical and I feared that adding alcohol would result in possibly dangerous situation when he came home. I prepared and planned, notified my boss and my daughter, and as soon as I believed his concert was well underway across town, I tossed my suitcase and my three bewildered cats in the car at 10 PM and headed half way across the state toward my daugthter's house in the middle of the night, leaving only a note on the counter that said I was gone and would return later. When he got home around 2AM and found me gone, he called and was very upset. I knew I'd made the right call. I don't think my adrenalin has ever worked overtime that hard, and I don't see well for night driving, but that night I did what I had to do, and it was the beginning of the end to that sad chapter of my life, long since overdue.
A new question for you... What is the fear you have worked hardest to overcome in your life?
Too cute, Josie - I got an image of you, all mouth agape, buggy eyed and staring while walking around a big city!
DeleteAs I had said to Robin's comment - being a mother, in and of itself, is an act of bravery. There aren't too many I know that haven't had to exercise their Wonderwoman-sized courage at some point. YOU made the absolute right choice in getting out in that situation, and I am so glad you did.
Whew...I have quite some questions to tackle! Stay tuned!
A long time ago I was a secretary to Chief Commandant at headquarters of the state fire service. We were almost like an army, our uniforms were navy blue instead of green, our hats were decorated with Polish emblem - a beautiful white eagle. And we had ranks, just like in the army.
ReplyDeleteOn one of the meetings I just had enough of the communist crap being poured into our heads. I stood up interrupting general's speech and told him that he is not worthy to wear that eagle on his hat. I closed my briefcase and slowly walked out of the room and out of the job.
Now, I want you to imagine that boardroom: high ceilings, very heavy, dark cherry furniture, and red carpet. Room filled with high rank officers, I was the only woman there. I was still in my twenties... Later I joined the Solidarity.
This event took place in late seventies. Since the II WW Poland was practically run by the Soviet Union.
THIS just earned the 'Kick Butt' Award'. Wow. I could picture it, and good for you for standing up for your beliefs, and not bowing down and bending for someone else's just for the sake of a job. I would LOVE to hear more about this...being a history enthusiast and all, this kind of thing is fascinating to me.
DeleteI could just picture it, like a scene from a movie. You rock!!!
Carrie, I have to say, after reading yours again...you are a mighty brave woman to go off alone like you did. And to do all those things alone in a big city. And Purpose? What an amazing story. I was on the edge of my seat reading that. Can u give yourself points? Hmmm, I guess not since you are the "host" of this contest. But you deserve it.
ReplyDeleteI guess I don't 'feel' brave when I travel alone. The incident in the post Purpose? I think that was pure adrenaline and God's hand of protection. Thanks for the offer of points! You're sweet, my lovely blog friend!
Deleteam catching up today.
ReplyDeleteI had to be brave to deal with my mom's death. I had to be brave to fly to Hawaii (Xanax was involved as I have a fear of flying) and I had to be really brave when we bought the restaurant and I had to be a manager when I always preferred peon.
Funny -
DeleteI can NOT imagine the loss of my mom. I just can't go there. I will occasionally post about her and our routine butting of heads, but I love her. Fiercely.
Do you like flying better now? I absolutely love it. One time I am going to whip out the laptop and craft a blog post from up in the clouds. There is such clarity and deep thinking up there in that part of the atmosphere. Oh my gosh - how the heck was Hawaii??? I would so love to go there?
I'm like you - I don't really want to be in charge. Just let me blend in the back, washing dishes...:)
Like my Big Sister (Funny in My Mind) may say, the time I had to be bravest was when my mother was in the hospital (basically from cancer, but also from an intestinal infection and a host of other issues), and was found unresponsive on the floor of her room, resuscitated (despite a DNR), and put in ICU.
ReplyDeleteWhen we arrived, we spent five days deliberating the right thing to do despite the mixed information from the oncologist, cardiologist, pulmonologist, neurologist, nephrologist, nurses, and everyone else. We would be told her liver, kidneys and heart were doing great, but her breathing would be bad and her brain function was falling daily. We could keep her body alive, or maybe even have a tiny part of her back by a miracle, or we could do what we all knew she wanted and turn all the machines off. As a nurse, she had told us her wishes for years, but making that choice was heart-wrenching, and I just knew that no one had ever had to do such a thing before, because there was no way that someone could go through what we went through and live.
In the end, I got a burst of something late Thursday night (she went in on Monday) and demanded that all the doctors talk to one another and give us real answers. I told the nurses I would stand at their desk all night long if they didn't call the doctors, which they loved doing at 10:30 PM, I'm sure. In the end, we were given sufficient evidence to assure us that taking the ventilator off was the right choice because her brain was essentially dead.
However, watching the aftermath of that - my mom slowly dying an agonizing-looking death - was a different story. So many physiological things happen when the body is shutting down, and none of them are pretty. Staying in that room, holding her hand when all I wanted to do was turn that vent back on and at least have her there physically, and watching her die when there was nothing I could do to ease her pain or help her recover was something that I wish no person ever had to experience. Agony does not even begin to describe it. But when she finally passed, about 24 hours later, it was peaceful. She was gone, but at least she wasn't sick anymore and never had to be reliant on any machine again.
Being brave takes many forms, and for many people it depends on the situation, but I have never felt like I had to be more brave than the late night I demanded the answers that I knew would mean my mother's death.
I am crying...Melanie...and Funny...you two are brave hearts. I pray you're both around when my own mother passes. I don't think it's soon...but life is a vapor. I don't want to go through that alone. By alone, I mean without sisters who have gone through it.
Delete