July 25, 2012

Sunshine in the Forecast Give-Away Question #3

Hey hey!  Love my girls, Robin over at Thoughts and Reflections, and Funny at Funny in My Mind for taking on my 'heavy' question about stress and being overwhelmed.  As we say in these parts, 'bless your hearts' and now hang on for more upbeat questions.  But first, a song!  You can't be stressed hopping around to this song.  Thank you, R.E.M.



You can still go back to question #2 and answer for your name to go in the hat.  Then come back here and work on focusing on what brings you joy!  If you're just jumping in (come on, people...I 'see' you stopping by), you can learn more about the details of the give-away here Great Get-To-Know-You Give-Away.  It's really easy - answer my daily questions and pose one of your own for a chance to win a fabulous hammock!
Today's question:
What five things in life give you joy?
Yeah!  What makes you breathe deep and go "aaaaaaaaah, this is living"?
Here are my five (and there are more, but these come to mind first...)

  • Time with my family when we are all finally in one place with no where to go.  As kids get older, they have schedules, and a social life that takes them out the door much of the time, so when we have rare occasions that we're all actually sitting around the table, we laugh!  I love that.
  • Being outside - I am one that needs the be outdoors a good bit to feel healthy, happy and wise.  If I have to be inside, please God, let there be a window, preferably a big one.  First thing I do when I get to my office is throw open the tacky blinds, and everyone has come to learn, 'Yep, she's here - blinds are wide open.'  I try to make time to get outside at least a little bit each day.
  • Coffee - especially when said coffee is enjoyed on the front porch, which is my daily routine with Hubs in the summer.
  • Music - particularly paired with driving in my car, top down.  Hey, bonus!  I'm hell-bent determined to find the positives...I have a commute of about 20 minutes.  Yeah!  Daily road concerts coming up!
  • Having something to look forward to - I cherish having something on the horizon that is enjoyable, or fun, or what I want to do.  Something to yearn for.  Yes, I already have a beach get-away booked for fall break in October.  May have to go solo, but I already look toward that and get excited.  
There ya go, lovelies!  Hugs to any that dare take on my Debbie Downer Question 2!  

24 comments:

  1. 1. Music
    2. Friends
    3. Sharing meals
    4. Dancing. I do it a lot at home by myself in the kitchen. :)
    5. My boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, with the dancing thing! Indeed! That's what my kitchen's for! Cooking a meal? Psht - it's a dance floor, people! (No, I really do cook...some times). One of my favorite things to do is dance on a balcony at the beach..Vacations bring out the slightly less inhibited side anyway, and mmmm hmmmm...dancing on the balcony with the waves crashing in the background? Love itl

      Delete
  2. hello, my friend!

    significantly lighter fare today!

    1. YES! coffee! It's funny, I never even drank coffee until about 10 years ago. But I love the way coffee in the morning or on the deck makes time slow down just that little bit.
    2. Again to steal one of yours, music. Seldom is the time these days I don't have something playing in the house. I'm trying to figure if I should go with wired or wireless speakers on the deck.
    3. I love cigars! I'm not a daily smoker at all but cigars are different. You need an hour at least so there's that. but also, you have to look after them. Keep them at the proper humidity. Rotate them so they stay fresh. Store them with similar ones so they don't take on the flavours of those next to them. ACK! I could go on and on.
    4.This is going to seem odd for a guy but I like to clothes shop with my wife. OK, just stop laughing at me. It's a weird thing. I think I like it even more than she does but I think it has more to do with us just hanging out together. And sometimes, I can talk her into trying something on she wouldn't normally even consider.
    5.The beach. Preferably the beach at the ocean but in a pinch, the beach at the lake will do as well.

    Alright...Are you a regular, out of the tin coffee type person, or are you one of the coffees of the world, infused with the essence of this or that, coffee type person?

    until tomorrow, my Lone Ranger Buddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt I needed to lift the fog from my 'dooms day' post from yesterday. Sheesh! It's a new day, right?

      You really need to have your own cigar shop. Not kidding.

      You know, that's not odd at all, and good for you! (not laughing! promise!) So do you like shopping for you more or for her? I think you said it though - it's probably more about doing something together. Your love language (one of them) must be quality time - that's mine but with the emphasis most on conversation. You said something interesting too, about getting her to try on something she wouldn't normally consider...we went on a couples' trip last February with some friends and while walking down the street window shopping, the husband spotted this sundress (a little sexy but very tasteful) in the window and said to me, "Hey, you need to take _______(his wife) shopping and get her to buy something like this." It really got me to thinking about how wives present themselves most of the time - I can guess: either boring or fuddy duddy work clothes, or they wear the ugliest, slouchiest stuff at home. Okay, now I'm getting into a future post....I'll save it for that. :)

      Ah the beach...I didn't include it on my list, because I was trying to focus on the day to day things, but if I had to pick ONE THING, it'd be some sandy, salty stretch of shore. I feel most at home there, most at peace. There is actually a scientific reason for this: the air is rich there with negative ions that create a biochemical reaction that increases serotonin (the good mood hormone). Regardless, my soul's home is there.

      I will admit, I am a bit of a coffee snob...for years we bought Folgers because it was cheaper but when we started trying different ones, I literally couldn't go back to it. Don't get me started on Maxwell House (gross!). I do love coffees from different places, and brought home some from Nicaragua and then my daughter brought home some Guatemalan coffee (she knows us well). I like straight up coffee, with just a little cream, no sugar. Not a big fan of flavored coffees.

      So far you have the most 'points' for responses since you were one of the first three when this started! Robin and Melanie are close behind! My daughter will be the official 'draw the name out of the hat' person and I will document it as proof...can't wait!

      Delete
  3. Ahem.....hold on there peeps. Here are my 5 things.

    1. My 2 kids and my 2 grandchildren. This totals 4, I know, but I’m counting them all as ONE. My daughter and grandchildren live away, so I don’t get to see them as often as I like. But when I do, I love it. I wish they were closer. My son is 16. Divorce and having to share him sucks but when it’s my turn with him, my heart is filled with joy.

    2. HOPE. Having hope brings me joy. I’ve been through some hard times and hope is the only thing I had. These days, I am hanging on to hope for dear life and what I hope the future holds for me…Sunshine in the forecast baby!!!! this brings joy to me.

    3. I know your’re all tired of hearing it, but a ride on the Harley brings me joy. My troubles disappear for just a little while and all I can feel is the wind and sun…

    4. Stealing from you guys…..MUSIC! How could music not bring joy? What I listen to, depends on my mood. I’m in the process of buying the CD’s from the store “Romancing the Stone”… anyone familiar with the music that plays in the stores? It’s different, but I love love love it. Anywhere from Jazz, to Reggae to freakish African, tribal stuff.

    5. Paying the bills and having a few dollars left over brings tremendous joy to me! There was a time (in my single days) that I was flat broke. So being able to pay bills and still eat a meal...awesome! Occassionally, I get to go shopping, so this is an added joyful bonus!

    Now a question for you....
    That Ken fella...do you think he is real? I mean, have you read his blog and the way he talks about his wife and his marriage? Do men really exist like that? Shh. Don't tell him I'm talking about him....

    Until tomorrow.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROBIN IN THE HOUSE!!! Or Hammock!! :)

      HOPE was my 'word' for last year (school year). Hang onto it. Better things to come.

      Not tired of hearing it AT ALL! You speak what you feel, girl!

      I love that we find so many commonalities among us. 'We're awesome!' (*grin)

      You know, I love your #5. We needed to be reminded to be grateful and recognize the blessings we have - even if its a dollar left in the checkbook. I hear ya - there was a time when we lost everything (as in material) and lived with Hubs' family for a time, and my tips went into a pickle jar. I NEVER forget that jar. It makes me remember to be so grateful for what is present in my life, and to also remember - it is fleeting so appreciate it while its there.

      Woah, what a question!!

      Is Ken real? This is the question...Yes, I have read his blog, and love the way he talks about his honey. He could write a book, quite honestly. A How-to manual for a man's man's guide to husbandhood. As to whether he's real? Yup, I'd say he's more real than real and it's why so many are drawn to his blog.

      I won't tell him...:)

      Delete
    2. Is there a reason why my ears are burning? ;)

      Delete
    3. They should have been a'flame, Kimosabe! ;)

      Delete
    4. A little inside info about Ken...I found out that he blames his farts on his dog! Seriously.

      Delete
  4. You are precious, too kind!
    I actually had one of those overwhelming days at work yesterday. It was bad.

    1. I am going to agree with you (again) and say that having something to look forward to gets me through the days. Right now it is my trip in August. And someday getting to go back to Hawaii. Or anywhere alone with my husband (out of Missouri)
    2. a very cold, well-made Grey Goose martini, straight up, extra dirty, extra olives
    3. being in a tropical setting, complete with sea breezes, waves crashing, palm trees and warm sun with no cell phone service and a relaxed, happy husband
    4. finding the perfect outfit that looks and feels good on me (harder than it sounds)
    5. everyone together for the Thanksgiving holiday, including my sisters, brother, all the kids and dogs
    6. I am adding one more: my husband

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a bummer to have those days..Makes the good days really good though, I guess. At least I'm trying to look at it more that way. Notice I said 'trying'. :)

      Where are ya going in August? That's coming up! Awesome.

      You know...I have never had a martini.....now that you've sat down in shock, I think I've always been a bit intimidated how to order one. I am going to write your 2 choice on my hand so I can sound cool and sophisticated when I order it. :)

      Whoo hoo and amen to #3!

      You find a TON of amazingly adorable outfits! And you so rock them! I see your dresses and go, 'Aw! Like! Want!' ha ha

      Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE holiday. Nothing commercial about it AT ALL. Yay!

      Hip hip hooray, tomorrow's Friday!

      Delete
    2. my sister and a friend of mine are going to Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Laid back, mountains, good food, shopping and only 2 hours from home.
      If you like vodka (get a good brand like GG, Ketel One, or Stoli or Smirnoff for less expensive but still good) and you like olives, a dirty martini is the way to go. I also like vodka and tonics with lots of lime.
      I only buy on sale (because I am a huge clotheshorse) but I like quality stuff (not an Old Navy fan) I live in a small town so I shop online a lot.

      Delete
    3. I have ALWAYS wanted to check out Eureka Springs! Are you going to try some of the hot springs there? That would be heavenly.

      I will definitely give a martini a try - I love olives! Or...olive olives! :)

      Eh, I'll buy some Old Navy if I want cheap, quick items. Operative word: cheap. They shrink pretty bad. How is online shopping for you? I just never know if it will really fit....I have curvage to accommodate...

      Delete
  5. 1. Sunrise
    2. Sunset
    3. A good book
    4. A ride to nowhere
    5. Italian food

    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, I love #4!!! A ride to nowhere. I could drive to the opposite coast and back, with no particular agenda and be in my element. I might just do that...great thinking!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, that makes two of us. I like to spend some time alone, just with my thoughts... In September I'm going to a 'Silence Retreat' and I'm so excited about it! A whole 5 days with no words spoken...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would ADORE a silence retreat! Went to a retreat years ago, and the first night was a night of silence...I loved it.

      Delete
  7. 1. Spending time with my husband
    2. Being together with both of my kids
    3. Having my cats curled up all around me
    4. Writing a blog post I'm proud of
    5. Being alone outdoors in a beautiful place...that is not hot!! :-)

    Question... If you could spend one week all alone any place,where/how would you choose to spend it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your list!! :)

      Aaaaahhhh...okay...I have this question noted and CAN'T WAIT to answer it! :)

      Delete
  8. I like this question!

    Five things that give me joy are:

    1. Spending time with my husband. Our schedules don't always line up very well, so it's really awesome whenever we have a few days straight together.

    2. Animals. I love my pets, and most animals. I'm a total sucker for cute critter pictures.

    3. Having a quiet, peaceful home. My husband and I are both fairly soft spoken, and I love that our house is usually quiet and peaceful.

    4. Reading. I love to get lost in a really great book.

    5. Cooking. I love trying new recipes and creating my own. I am truly happy when I have a group of people I care about to cook for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I come over??? Sounds like I would find it heavenly...pets to snuggle, quiet solitude, books/reading and you cook? Be there in however long it takes for me to get from here to there! (don't know where 'there' is...oops).

    Glad you liked the question! I hope to throw another 'list' type question out there again next week. Everyone seems to like them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Time with all of my family together. This includes Big Sister (Funny in my Mind to you) who lives 3.5 hours away. We fight, drink, laugh like loons, and create memories when we're all together and I wish it happened more often.

    2. Time alone with Hubby where we communicate very openly and create new lines of communication and intimacy that need to be there. We are concentrating on that a lot right now, and it is such a wonderful thing.

    3. Animals. I love God's creatures and also the world he gave us to enjoy them in. I'm not a huge fan of zoos or caged animals (although I understand their importance), but I just love animals. Be it cats and dogs or lions and elephants, I love being around animals and learning from them.

    4. Reading and writing. If I cannot write then my brain clogs and I get very frustrated. Thank goodness for blogs! I also love reading, and while it hit me recently that my reading tends to be more self-help or mundane fiction than the classics I know I should be reading, it doesn't matter to me. Heck, just reading a magazine can be great for me, although I will take being wrapped up in a fabulous novel to that any day.

    5. My boys happily playing together with no fighting, ugly words, or any negativity. To hear them encourage one another or make up rules to a new game fills my heart all the way up. This is by no means a constant thing in my life. By far. So when I experience it I feel so happy and excited that they will hopefully always have a best friend around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait...what???? You and Funny are sisters??? Get out! That is too cool! Seriously! I love you two!!! That is too fabulous - two for one amazing gals! Incredible...(shaking head in amazement)

    Good for you on #2! Very important! I am learning that marriage really isn't about me. Hard lessons!

    My maniac pooch loves her crate, only because she was trained to go there to bed and she feels 'safe' there. I am with you. Animals are so amazing - God's creation really is a wonder, isn't it???

    I'm with you completely on reading and writing - and recently with blogging and all of you amazing people, I find that it fills a relational need too. I love people. I mean that. Deeply. I need to be connected to people and exchange ideas and life, and this is perfect. When I was ready to quit blogging it was before I was more 'out there' and anyone commented on it. It was like standing out on a box in a desolate desert, sharing my heart. No fun.

    My kids becoming friends was my deepest prayer for YEARS. They weren't outwardly violent with each other, but my son held a distain for his sister and basically treated her as if she didn't exist for years. It wasn't until high school and they were forced to ride together and then his life-changing experience with YWAM that they have become fast friends. I could die today happy, knowing they were knit together as friends.

    ReplyDelete