I AM excited because a recent blog amigo, affectionately named Kimosabe, or Ken (Happy Canada Day, BTW!), as his family would know him, over at ken-inatractor held a question/challenge/give-away. He was working towards his 10,000th view and took questions while approaching that milestone. When he reached it, he was giving away this:
Every time a reader asked him a question, he would enter them into the drawing to win. Aaaaaannnnd.......
I won!!! It's quite crazy because I don't think I have ever won anything in my life. It is one of the reasons why I never tried the lottery or gambling - I'd be broke and homeless.
The little tractor will be a great addition to my office that, after a year, I have yet to move into completely. I have best intentions of doing that some time soon (when no one else is there to be nosy). Maybe that will be one of the first things I bring in to decorate the shelves.
So yay! Thanks again, Ken! I am conjuring up some sort of give-away contest of my own. Hopefully a post will follow about that.
He was also kind to include me in on a list of recipients for an award -
I like the idea of being irresistible! Sweet? Well, depends on who you ask, but thank you for this award. You can check out his post about the give away and award here. His most recent post, a letter to his son, is truly one of his best posts to date. Go check it out.
Now for the necessary evil rules:
The rules for this award are to list 7 random facts about yourself and pass it on to 10 other bloggers.
Here goes:
1. I like to drive fast. Really fast. On my road trip in '09 there was a speed limit sign somewhere out the middle of nowhere that said 'Speed Limit 80' and I thought I'd died and gone to Speedway heaven.
2. I love wind - breezes, cool and warm, the intense gale force variety...and yet, I CAN NOT STAND the feel of the ceiling fan on me during the night. In our ongoing Compromise, Hubs endures my white noise and I tolerate the overhead fan. I build this tomb out of two layers of blankets so I don't have to feel the air bristling any part of my skin.
3. I quite like white household things/accessories: dishes, towels, sheets, all linens... In other words, yes, I could pretty much abide in a hotel the rest of my days and be content.
4. I have a weakness (confession here) - I can not help laughing when people trip or fall. Before you get all judgy Mc judgepants on me, I do my fair share of 'turn about's fair play' by offering plenty of clutz material of my own. I don't ever want anyone to get hurt. I will pick you up and ask you if you're ok. Just understand that I can not help that I am about to turn beet-colored from stifling a guffaw. Thought you might enjoy this video and see what I mean:
5. I don't necessarily love to wash my car if it involves dragging the hose out, the bucket and all the accoutrements. I do, however, enjoy taking my car to the car wash place and pull into those sprayer/scrubber stalls. Pop in some quarters, fire up the water nozzle and lather the hood easily. Bonus that this song arises from the recesses of my 70's childhood every time I go:
6. If you and I ever eat out together somewhere, I am warning you now, I will probably nearly bus/clean the table myself before we get up and leave. It is a habit that was established after I spent my college/early married years waiting tables. It floored me at times, the disgusting mess that grown adults would leave after a meal, and don't get me started on those that dine with little cherubs and leave the equivalent of an entire loaf of bread in crumbs under the highchair, along with all matter of lumpy goo that I could not identify. I will save that rant for my Parenting post when I work up the nerve. No, I will pile all dishes neatly close to the end of the table, put all trash and silverware on top, replace all salt and pepper and condiment bottles, and wipe up excessive crumbs or spills. I also tip very generously most of the time.
7. The pesky perfectionism that used to dwell more on the surface of my being rises every now and then whenever I approach the doors of places of business. Push? Pull? Use which door? Will I get it right? Nothing like feeling like a dork yanking on a door that clearly says 'push'.
Now to pass this award along, gladly. I hope to either pass this along to newer blogs I have found, or to ones that are like old friends, that I haven't bestowed an accolade on them yet. I have to say, I have spent the last few days scouring through the old A-Z Challenge list, and it has made me even more appreciative of my newfound friends in this blog community. I would also like to give a round of applause to all of you that made it through the whole thing and continue to blog. It seems that Challenge has effectively taken out many a blog, as so many either never finished the challenge, or stopped blogging shortly after it was over. I can relate. Most everyone talked about 'surviving it' and it rings true.
On to the Blogs of Note:
think.stew - Happy Canada Day, btw, dbs!!



Congratulations on your award! And on winning the tractor contest. :-)
ReplyDeleteI am totally with you about cleaning up the table in a restaurant. I waited tables for about six months while I was in school, and I don't think I'll ever forget some of the messes people left. I think everyone should be required to spend at least six months waiting tables and at least six months (with part of it falling during the Christmas shopping season) working in retail. I think people would be much nicer to servers and sales associates then.
80 mph speed limit, that does sound just wonderful!
Thanks Danielle!
DeleteWe'd make a good pair out to lunch then! Ha ha. You are right - but I would include 3 months as waitress, 3 months in retail, 3 months as a teacher and 3 months as a custodian/janitor. The world would be a more pleasant place.
That speed limit was incredible.
Congratulations on your impressive tractor win!! You know the photo Ken has as his header? I want that one!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I also understand the whole busing your own table - I waited too so it comes as second nature! I am in complete agreement with the wait staff requirements Danielle posted.
Thank you so much for the blog award! I love getting them and giving them out! It is definitely one of the great perks of blogging! And it completely brightened up my day!
Thanks, Heather! Yes! Maybe he'll put that thing up as a prize next time! ;)
DeleteYou, Danielle and I need to go to lunch together...by the end of the meal, the waiter/waitress would owe US a tip! Ha ha
You are welcome! I am glad it perked up your day and know that many of us love your blog. I do understand some of your 'wrestlings' with posting, what to share, periods of quiet. I go through this too. I am working to try and be more comfortable with how I approach my blog so that it continues to be a more encouraging place while also being a place of outlet for me. Not an easy thing to balance. I hope to find it, for sure.
Sorry guys. I just changed that picture before coming here. If I had been here first, i most likely would have left it. I'll have to look if i can find one of those. I can't remember ever seeing a toy of that model.
DeleteThanks so much for linking to not one, but two of my posts. How awesome is that!
DeleteI'll be sure to try and check out the blogs you linked that i don't already follow.
Everyone seems to be all about the busing tables. Funny, whenever we leave a table, the plates are neatly stacked and in tidy order as well. It just seems like the proper thing to do?
Once again, so happy that you won. I am looking forward to whatever you come up with if you decide to do something similar for your milestone post.
Also, how can you be a klutz? The Lone Ranger is way too cool for that! :)
Where'd your tractor heading go? :)
DeleteIt is interesting that so many here are of the bussing table crew - having waited tables for quite a few years through college and early married life, MOST are not of this group. Most are of the 'leave-a-pig-slop-mess-it's-the-waitress's-job-to-clean-it-up' group.
I have a plan for the question/give-away - not sure how long to carry it out and I am leaving on Thursday for a week and not sure how internet-accessible I'll be. Thinking through that part.
Ah - I'm not a complete and utter klutz...but I have my moments. :) Keeps me humble!
Thank you so much for including me on your Blogs of Note list. It's quite an honor. I just submitted my e-mail to your blog list and I look forward to enjoying your future posts. Take care, and thanks again.
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome, and I look forward to reading more and more of your posts! I am also always excited to share with others great blogs I find, such as yours!
DeleteGreat! I always wondered if anyone ever did that email thing!
Congrats on the tractor win!! WHOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!! Hey, I totally bus tables when we go out to eat. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! You crack me up. Thanks for the award! I will definitely pass it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks! I couldn't believe I won!
DeleteYay! Glad you're glad for the award. Some do those, and some don't. I look forward to seeing your post! :)
It's funny that many of us bloggers seem to be of the bus-the-table variety. Could there be a pattern?
Congrats on the prize AND the award. Well deserved!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Melanie! :)
Deletecongrats on all your prizes. i found your blog via another blog. i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you like it.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com
thanks
new follower
bev
Thank you, Bev! I went to yours and followed! I look forward to checking it all out. Feel free to follow here if you feel cozy enough to stay! :)
DeleteI loved your post about your mother!
Thank you so very much! I'm honoured! :)
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome!! Love your blog!
Delete