July 6, 2012

You're All Coming with Me

I do believe I am going to be able to post regularly from Nicaragua, so friends, you're all coming with me!  Pack your bags and come on!  I am so excited to be able to do this - my secret dream job is that of travel writer. So I'll practice here and try to 'sell' you on this little slice of heaven called San Juan Del Sur.  

For all who know and appreciate that unique airplane clarity

I call this art form 'Airplane Window Painting'.  I am notorious for taking shots of what's below from a plane.  I took a ton of these shots of blue. I am convinced aqua blue is also God's favorite color.  This takes my breath away.  See the little white 'dashes' in the middle?  Boats.
Here's another one of my 'masterpieces' (tee hee).  Look just below the cloud line.  Just look at all the humanity bunched up there on that leeeeetle stretch of sand out in the middle of the ocean.
I am not sure what this is (crater? volcano?) but this is what I saw as we came over Nicaragua.  Right now is the rainy season so everything is so green and lush.  What a wonder.

It was a fairly smooth trip over but the cab ride was interesting.  The owner of the place where we're staying sent a driver for us so we met Ricardo outside of the airport holding up a piece of paper with our name scratched on it.  I've always wanted to do that - be picked up at the airport with someone holding my name on a piece of paper.  Check.  

The ride from Managua is about two hours if you don't factor in traffic, people/dog/horse dodging or the cashew vendors and little boys attempting to wash your windows at an intersection for un dolar.  I wanted to take pictures from the window, but I am also respectful of the way of life here.  I will try to capture that some so that you can see true Nicaragua.  I will say this - it is hammock haven here, folks.  The hammock is a symbol of sorts, of their slower pace, and enjoyment of simplicity.  Hammocks are on virtually every front porch, and rigged up in even the most humble of abodes.  I have wondered if they serve as beds for some.  

Words can not describe the exhaustion I have accrued from the last couple of days.  From the morning of the 4th, getting up at 5 a.m. to make it down to the race to bum a race number for Eldest to run with me until about 11:00 p.m. last night, it felt like one continuous day.  I was able to sleep about three hours total from 11-2 a.m. on the eve of our travels so by yesterday, I was a bobbing/weaving mess.  As wild as the cab ride was, I took my life in my own hands as the driver played chicken with other vehicles to pass others on the road and fell dead asleep in the back seat.  If we'd hit someone, I don't think I would have stirred.

I have taken some pictures with my camera (instead of my phone like the ones above) and plan to try and upload them and post nightly if possible.  I am grateful to be able to access wireless here, and have you all come along.  Have an amazing Friday!

6 comments:

  1. I love the view from airplanes too. Sometimes just the clouds take my breath away. I can't wait to hear all of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clouds are my favorite too. I took some of those as well, but thought I'd bore the majority of the population with them (but now I know you'd appreciate them!).

      Can't wait to share!

      Delete
  2. I always have to have an aisle seat due to my pea size bladder. I totally miss window seats! Glad you could be my window seat for the day. Really great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Window seats are my fave. I generally try not to have to visit the loo while on a plane - my bladder is a steel trap since I was a school teacher.

      I have some neat shots from today but Hubs has gone nighty poo and it is entirely too dark in this room to locate the camera paraphernalia and upload them. Will have to tackle it in the a.m!

      Delete
  3. This is all so wonderful! I believe that i would love to visit there.
    I love everything about this. The travel, the plane trip, definitely the guy with the sign in the airport. It's just a complete change of pace. Something about the laid back way of life that just seems so attractive to me.

    I think i could use a trip like this right now. I've about a million things going on right now. Farmy type things. My shoulder is hurting like crazy! I can hardly keep up with posting anything and commenting is so hard. Plus, i've added pressure to myself with that one post that everyone seemed to like so much. Not sure that anything else i write will measure up to that? Sometimes i want so much to....just....stop......moving! It's really so beautiful here these last few days. I'm finding it difficult to sit in the office and type something when it's so nice outside. Anyways, we're headed back to the lake for a few days. I hope that my batteries will get recharged? Sorry, I know this is all unrelated to your post. I just needed to explain it to someone. You feel like a person i can tell all that to.

    On a positive note, finally got your tractor in the mail. I expect it will be waiting for you when you get home. :)

    Eager to hear more about this trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you would love it here. Very very laid back. There's no hurry or schedules, and I like that.

      Sounds like you could use a break! Hopefully the lake provided a respite for you. Have you considered blogging on some sort of a schedule? I still think that maybe if I did that, the pressure could be off somewhat, to feel like I have to post all the time. A lot of bloggers do a post schedule. Some post once a week, some more, some less. Depends on you. Maybe that would help a bit.

      I wouldn't worry about future writing not measuring up. As with any writer, you're going to have those touchstone pieces that stand out, and then you'll have your posts that are good but we can't pressure ourselves to make everything be stellar. It's okay not to be. I hope you don't mean to stop blogging...but trust me when I say, I completely understand that desire to want to break away from it some times. I think many who've come to love your 'voice' would sorely miss it if you were to stop. You know, it's okay too, to post that you are going to take a break or sabbatical from blogging and give an estimate on how long you'd be away. I've done that before. I may have lost readers - I don't have that many, really, but it was something I needed to do.

      You could have been just saying you want to stop being so busy, and in that case, you definitely need to come down this way and lay in a hammock as long as you want and just be.


      Never apologize for what you share in my comments. Love hearing from ya and am glad you felt you could. Any time!

      I'll have a prize when I get home! Yay!!!

      Here's hoping the lake smooths the wrinkles in your spirit!

      Delete