My neighbor's daughter of some of our dearest friends called this morning, sounding scared and needing me to come up to their house. I've never run so fast out the door. I found her mother slumped, nearly unconscious and covered in sweat, unable to move. A 911 call and a day at the hospital later, she is okay. They aren't sure what it was, but they want to run tests. Always tests. And more tests. I know those full well.
The day was full with checking on her two daughters, ages 13 and 5, doing some light cleaning at her house and preparing a meal for them. In between, I spent many hours on the phone today - which is very strange. One friend from college that called out the blue - confiding struggle and yet offering hope to me in the midst of it. A brother, who is the only other human being on the planet that knows my history and our parents so well because it was also his history and his experience with the same set. My Dad - who finally heard my heart on some hurts that have been festering, like a bit of sand in the heel of a shoe. I await a call from my high school best friend. We have much to discuss in the way of health and marriages. We're still that close. She's Bert and I am Ernie. Inseparable. Life long friends. Always.
Life doesn't slow down either in the near horizon. I have wavered, mainly because my heart's decided to beat to it's own wacky drum again, but also because of the close proximity to another BIG plan. But the 10k I've been registered for occurs on the 4th. I thought I might just sit this one out.
I'm not going to.
You can read about last year's experience with this crazy Atlanta tradition here: Peachtree Road Race.
I warn you: it gets sweaty.
The following day, I hop on a plane and head to unite this body with its heart - the country of Nicaragua. I looked back and I didn't ever post about my first trip there back in February of '11. My heart was entirely too full to make sense of it all. This return might be the answer to all the questions that presented themselves then. Here are a few photos from 2011. Look for more to come.
The view from where we stay.
Surely you jest - of course there's a hammock!
The town that has captured my affections.
Giggling in the hammock.
Experimenting with photo shots.
The place where I found my heart and its shadow.
Nicaragua
I hope to post tomorrow, and possibly launch the 'give-away' challenge. If not, and if I don't get back here for a short while, you will know where I can be found. I look forward to having stories to tell already.






Wishing for a speedy recovery to your neighbor. Hope that all is well.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how life changes our plans at times. Have a wonderful time on your trip! It looks beautiful there. I love those pictures. We've been to Mexico twice, and granted it was an all inclusive stay but i absolutely love the atmosphere there. I would love to hear about your time there.
I am sure a place like that will fill you with stories! :)
She is surprisingly well considering she looked horrible when I found her. They've ruled out gall bladder but think it could be some sort of intestinal obstruction, as she has had these attacks before but never to this extent. She's a trooper though - has a trip planned to head to St.Louis and she's going.
DeleteIt is very beautiful, and when we went before, it was the tail end of the dry season. We're going this time during the rainy season, and I look forward to seeing everything green. If you loved Mexico, you would probably love Nicaragua. I went to an all-inclusive in Mexico once. Best.trip.ever. :)
Can't wait to bring stories back!
I hope your friend feels better soon. I'm not sure I would have reacted that calmly.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the blue fence. What a great way to dress up a metal fence!
She is better, thank you! It is really weird, but in situations like that in my past, something kicks in and I go into mega-calm mode. Others have noticed it in me. I'm not prone to panic. Guess that's handy in the event of disaster!
DeleteThe colors in Nicaragua in the little town where we go is unbelievable. All the buildings are different, bright colors. It makes the dull, plain suburbs of most U.S. towns look depressing by comparison. It's one of the many things I adore about the place. They have the right idea surrounding themselves with amazing hues of many colors. :)
I hope to take many more pictures on this trip and plan to share!
So glad you could be there for your neighbor and the kids. That's really what life is all about. Being there when folks need you.
ReplyDeleteHave fun doing the race. I look forward to hearing about Nicaragua. I am going there in the next few years.
You are SO right - it IS really why we're all here - for each other, and to learn how to love.
DeleteI'll report back about the race, should I survive it (*grin). Still a little up in the air due to logistics, but otherwise a go.
YOU'RE GOING TO NICARAGUA IN A FEW YEARS?! Really? Awesome! One of my favorite places on the planet!
I hope your friend is feeling better. That was so nice of you clean and cook for her.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your race tomorrow!
Thanks Danielle! I did okay - let's just say I finished. My time was better last year but it was HOT this year, and I felt accomplished that I ran the whole time (or jogged) and didn't stop. Whew!
DeleteMy friend is doing well - she's on her trip and feeling better. So very thankful.
It's frightening to think of what might have happened if you weren't there to call 911 or to take care of those girls. You were wearing angel's wings that day.
ReplyDeleteYes, I am so grateful that I was home and accessible. She's doing great right now, and looks to investigate her 'spells' more when she returns from her trip.
DeleteWhat a blast! I have to admit I'm a bit jealous! Sorry about your friend. Hope she gets better soon. Don't get over exhausted yourself.
ReplyDeleteSo far, exhausted isn't the word for how I've felt the last couple of days, but WE'RE HERE NOW (Wheeee!) and will rest up for sure. We're scouting out the place and I plan to post regularly from here.
DeleteMy friend is doing well! Thanks for your kind thoughts!
Thanks for sharing the pics. It is always nice to see places that I may never be able to see.
ReplyDeleteNever say never!!!
DeleteI will be sharing plenty more now that I know I have wifi!!! Stay tuned!! Thank you, so much, for stopping by!!!
I'm sending good thoughts to your neighbour. How scary that must have been for everyone involved.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the race, and have a fabulous trip. I would love to go to Nicaragua one day!
Appreciate your good thoughts! I do believe she is doing quite well considering her condition when I found her. She actually left for her trip the next day and I've heard from her that she is feeling fine. She will look into her 'spells' when she returns home.
DeleteThanks about the race! It was more like a tortoise crawl for me but I managed it, I finished and I didn't stop running/jogging. That's a plus!
As far as Nicaragua - COME ON!!! :)
Hi Carrie! I am excited to get to know you. Your intro and this blog post have me intrigued. First off, what a wonderful friend you are to step up and go above and beyond when needed. There are not a lot of people like that in the world. I will keep you friend in my prayers and hope that all the tests turn out well.
ReplyDeleteOh, and your pictures of Nicaragua. So beautiful. Do you go for missions or just to regroup? That picture of the city just makes me want to put on my Keen sandals and go for mile after mile of exploration. Enjoy your run and your trip. It sounds like both will be so fulfilling for you!
Melanie, I am so very excited to get to know you too! Seriously! This blogging thing is priceless in finding amazing people like yourself. I love it!
DeleteYou know, I guess I just don't think of what I did as anything extraordinary - I hope everyone would do such for a fellow person in trouble but you're right. I guess not everyone would. Thank you for your prayers. She is doing quite well right now, and will investigate her issues upon return of her trip.
Now that I know I have wifi, I plan to post regularly from here. It is exceptionally beautiful here and I am smitten. The story of our finding our way to Nicaragua is an interesting one. One I should probably share here as a post, and will try to do that in the next day or so. We're not here for missions (yet) but wonder if there will be some permanent purpose to fulfill one day - more on that in the story to come.
As for exploring, this morning we took the resident dog for a walk out on the cliffs/rocks and it was awesome. I hope to post/share pictures nightly if I can. Check in!