I wish I could give a point or two for whoever it was that visited my blog yesterday from Trinidad & Tobago...Five points for the most exotic locale to have ever breezed through the hammock? Now on to our regularly scheduled nonsense...
Hello and welcome to my hammock where a deliriously amusing give-away is going on right this moment! Basically, tune in for the next two weeks (ends August 5th) and answer the daily question either in the comments or on your own blog as a writing prompt (but link it back, por favor) - you get a point. If you ask me a question in addition to answering, you get another point. The more you participate, the better your chances of winning THIS fabulous hammock, brought back from Nicaragua!
So all you lurky-lookers? Leave a comment! You'll be glad you did! If you're one that needs all the information before you can commit, here - Great Get-To-Know-You Give-Away.
So today's question:
Can you name up to ten favorite sounds? Can you name more than ten? (extra point?) Let's be fair and not list ten songs - you can name ONE that is a particular song. Go!
1. Hearing my two kids interacting/laughing together. There's nothing better.
2. Ocean waves
3. A distant train OR a close up roar and rumble of the train and its whistle.
4. The subtle but oh so inviting gurgle gurgle of a coffee pot perking its black gold first thing in the morning in a quiet house.
5. The song, Drifting by Enya (there's my one song)
6. My son's drumset vibrating through the wood floors - some parents would cringe...I love it.
7. Every now and again, I will turn off music in the car on a long drive to hear the hushed thump thump of tires on pavement.
8. Windchimes, particularly the ones that ring with a deeper register.
9. Cello
10. Friends' and family members' laughs - especially those wildly freeing cackles.
11. The creak of my real hammock.
12. We don't hear this sound much anymore, but it harkens back to my childhood - the cht cht cht of a water sprinkler that rotates around slowly then fast - chtchtchtchtchtcht...yes, I made the sound audibly to see what letters would match.
13. The drumline of a high school marching band.
14. cicadas out the window echoing from the back yard to the front
15. A table saw sheering through a plank of wood (don't get me started on the smell of cut wood...)

Hello, my friend!
ReplyDelete10 sounds. Not sure I can do this but I'll just start and give it a go.
1. The rattle of a Desiel engine.
2. The sound of water over rocks in a stream.
3. The chunk-ka-chunk of an old style credit card machine.
4. The sound of the first frogs of spring after the winter.
5. The sound at a high school basketball game of a 3 point shot, that split second when everybody holds their breath as the ball swooshes through and hits nothing but net.
6. The sound of a match lighting.
7. The sound of film through a projector.
8. The pop of a wine bottle cork.
9 the sound of a dog shaking off water after going for a a swim or having a bath.
10. The crunch of snow under your feet on a cold winter night.
....and one more for bonus points.
11. The sound of rain on the roof.
Really, I could have used half of yours but I thought I'd try to come up with new ones.
Because, of course, crashing ocean waves!
Sooooo, that Robin. Do you think she gets all decked out in leather finery when she goes riding on the Harley? ;)
Kimosabe...you are the most humble, self-depreciating person I know, and I guess that's one thing that is so endearing about you...you wouldn't be you if you were full of yourself and all, 'I'm great and I know it." To start off your 'list' by saying you weren't sure you could do it...
DeleteAnd your list is SO unique and I love ALL of those sounds too, but wouldn't have occurred to me to think of them...Truly.
As far as Robin and her Harley-riding ways....I am going to say that I think she probably has some leather pieces that she dons when she heads out on the iron. Fo' sho'.
Well....hello Ken. Now my ears are burning...My Harley riding attire consists of a leather jacket, if I ride when it's chilly. Harley Tshirts and tanks, boots (minus the spiked heels LOL), and bandana, which I still to this day do NOT know how to wear. You think it's a simple thing, but it's not. And there you have it.
DeleteI completely guessed you probably wore some leather pieces and I bet you look HAWT! ;) Rock it, Mama!
DeleteGreat Question!
ReplyDeleteI changed it up this go-round and instead used it as my blog topic. Hopefully, it will open it up to more participants, readers and/or followers.....we'll see.
check it out
my-lovelydisaster.blogspot.com
Awesome! I love it!! :) Went straight over to comment!
DeleteFinally I have a chance to stop by and join your game! This is great and I love the question. I smiled when I saw windchimes, laughter, sprinkers, cello, and table saws... all wonderful to me! Not so sure about cicadas, but I like crickets! :-)
ReplyDeleteHere's my list off the top of my head...
1. My husband's deep voice
2. My children's voices over the phone
3. Cats purring
4. Rain
5. Howling winter winds
6. Crashing thunderstorms
7. Coyote pups at night
8. Accoustic guitar
9. Ocean waves lapping the shore
10.Anything by Bach
11.A baby's laughter
12.Glass windchimes
14.The dishwasher's swish-swish-swish
15.Church bells playing hymns
16.A lawnmower early in the morning...only because I miss the smell of fresh cut lawns :-)
And here is a question for you... If you could revisit just one day of your life, not to change it, but because it was such a wonderful memory, which one would it be?
Oh my gosh, Josie!!! Great minds think alike, and apparently blog at the SAME EXACT TIME! I'd been missin' ya and was over at your blog mentioning my question give-away and here you are!!!! HUGS!
DeleteThanks for coming by!
Love your list too, especially the crashing thunderstorms, accoustic guitar and I am listening to the swish of my dishwasher right this moment...oh wait! I forgot to put 'white noise' on my list!! I can't go to sleep without it!!
I should know that you are the QUEEN of excellent questions. Whew - that one is lofty...I cherish the idea that it is not to go back to change anything. I wouldn't go back to change the tough things because it brought me where I am, but hmmmm. A day I would go back to (reminding me I am blessed with SO MANY) -
One recent one would have to be when we were all piled in the car, packed in like sardines coming home from Orlando bringing our son home after he'd been gone almost 6 months. Rolling down the highway, sharing snacks, and laughing, hearing my two kids genuinely interact, all of us together in that one little space and I thought, "THIS is it. If I didn't have another worldly possession, this is iT. Right here in this car.'
I"m going to share two:
This one has to do with my brother. We'd not always been that close growing up. Just normal sibling junk, I suppose, and maybe the fact that we were brother/sister. I don't know. Anyway, adulthood kept us sequestered in our own little worlds so much that it felt like seeing a stranger at times when we would get together, usually only around a major holiday. We were together because of a tragic event - the accident that claimed our aunt, and we had gone to TX for her funeral. We had to share a room because of everyone that was in the house staying there. One night, we sat up talking and sharing favorite songs with each other, laptops side by side, playing tunes for each other - "listen to this one" and "Do you know this song?" long into the night. I cherish that memory. So much.
Oooh, I like this one!
ReplyDelete1. The sound of the engine in a '68 Dodge Charger, or any old Mopar for that matter.
2. Dave's voice.
3. Kitty purring.
4. Any song by Band of Horses.
5. Rain.
6. Windchimes.
7. My car when it starts because every time, I say thank you. (it's an old car that I've put through hell)
8. Crack of a can top.
9. The sound of people singing, even if it's badly.
10. The sound of my wrought iron gate opening meaning friends are on their way up the driveway.
My favorites in your list - the windchimes, (can't say I've heard Dave's voice! :) and the sound of your gate heralding friends coming to visit. That sound says, 'here comes laughter and fun', no doubt!
DeleteI wouldn't mind hearing a '68 Dodge Charger. Hubs has the new one...and it is nearly silent. Today's cars are so boring when it comes to character, aren't they?
I am going to repeat some of the others answers. Because I agree.
ReplyDeleteHere goes:
1. my husband's voice, it still give me goosebumps when he says "good morning baby" or calls me numerous times during the day to tell me a funny story or just say hi
2. the sound of rain, good grief can we please get some soon!!!????
3. the sound of the marching band after they have finally perfected their music and take the field during halftime or competitions, we have a kick ass band for sure.
4. my mom's voice; I haven't heard it since she died in 2007 and I miss it!
5. summer sounds: lawn mowers, crickets, nighttime birds, etc..
6. my waterfall, heaven
7. the ocean
8. compliments from customers on our restaurant, always makes me feel good
9. a favorite song on the radio
10. silence (after a day spent with hundreds of people at work, quiet time is absolutely necessary for me to decompress
I was afraid this would happen....that I would somehow skip a comment reply trying to keep up with the comments coming in...I'd gone back through the questions to double-check and sure enough, Here's yours without a reply! So sorry! I was going to try really hard not to do that!
DeleteI would have to agree, the sound of rain has got to be one of the most pleasurable sounds, especially when it's been long without it. I most enjoy it when I am at home, I don't have anywhere to go, and my family is all home (chicks in the nest!). There's nothing cozier!
Awww...that made me tear up about your Mom's voice. I will forever think differently when I see my Mom's name pop up on my cell as an incoming call. I will cherish every time I get to hear hers. Thank you for that.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE marching bands. Big time.
Such a cool hammock! I'm not really entering your contest, because I live in Canada and it would probably cost 11 million dollars to ship it. But I do want to answer your question:
ReplyDelete1) my husband sleeping next to me (well, only if he's not snoring)
2) a baby laughing
3) bullfrogs at night
4) loons
5) large groups of people singing in harmony
6) cello
7) my dad playing acoustic guitar
8) crackling of a campfire
9) snow or gravel or leaves crunching under my feet
10) sizzle of garlic and mushrooms in a pan
11) marching bands. (my dog, however, is highly suspicious of marching bands if they're passing in front of our house. He stares down the drummers. Ha!)
And one thing I don't like hearing, unlike you and many of your commenters:
- windchimes. CREEPY! Especially if they're hanging inside. Those indoor windchimes are so obviously haunted.
Oh dear Stephanie!!! I am putting your name down! Seriously, don't worry about the shipping! Sheesh - I'll run it all the way there if I have to! You just never know! :)
DeleteCAMPFIRE! Sizzling, good-smelling stuff in a pan! Harmonizers! What great ones! Love those too! Way cool!
Too funny about the windchimes! You'd be completely skeeved at my Mom's - she collects them and her screened in porch has no less than 20 around the perimeter!
Funny - keep coming back! Join in! So glad you came!
1. Squirrels chirping outside my window
ReplyDelete2. Eagle call
3. Birds on my feeder
4. Sound of ocean waves
5. Formula I engines
6. Sound of rain drops hitting the roof
7. Wind-chimes
8. Bells
9. Pavarotti
10. Sound of F-18 flying over
11. Sound of turning book pages
12. Sound of brewing coffee in the morning
13. Sound of the wind on wings of the glider
14. Vowel sounds (used to produce vibrations)
15. Mouse trap going off
Evalina, This and that...
(Inhaled sharply...) I have never heard an eagle...THAT would be incredible. My brother-in-law's family just moved to Alaska so I hope to get out there and see one.
DeleteYour 15 made me chuckle...I take it you don't like mice? I can just see you - "*SNAP!" "Yesssssss!" (fist pump)
Glad you've jumped in!
Is not I do not like them... once upon a time these creatures moved in into my draw with kitchen towels and made a total mess. They are so destructive! Yes, since then I'm trapping them. Did you know that the peanut butter works better than cheese? Thank God for Freddy who's job is disposing dead mice and setting the trap. I would be lost with out him.
DeleteGood to know! Peanut butter rather than cheese!
DeleteOkay, this one is actually really hard for me, since I don't like a lot of noise.
ReplyDelete1. Silence (I told you I don't like noise)
2. Cats purring
3. Rain on a tin roof
4. My husband's voice
5. The panting/huffing noise my dog makes when I come home and she runs around like a maniac to greet me.
6. The ocean
7. The song "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong
8. The chirpy/chattering sounds our cats make when they see something they think is interesting.
9. Puppies snoring.
10. My dog playing with her squeaky toys.
Now a question for you: are you more of an audio person? I just wondered with you choosing this as a question.
Your list is so relaxing...Aaaaah. And I love that song! That's a good one to listen to when you're feeling the mullygrubs. For sure.
DeleteAwesome question! I am jotting all questions down so that I can compile the answers into one post. I have quite a few to address and thought it'd be easier to do in one place. Besides, I will reference you and link you! Bonus! :)
1. My boys laughing together.
ReplyDelete2. My husband laughing. He's not big with jokes or with being goofy, so the sound of his laughter just sets me on fire.
3. Wind chimes
4. A quiet car with no talking or music. Just time to think.
5. The ding and gurgle of the coffee pot
6. The meow of a tiny kitten or the yelp of a teeny puppy.
7. The ocean outside the window while I sleep.
8. Hearing a great song that I haven't heard in ages but that when I hear it I remember how much I love it and how much it brings back.
9. Hearing my mother's voice on either video or cassette tape. She used to record our holidays and stuff on tape (we had no video recorder) and they are really the only way we can still feel her near. She had a lovely, soft voice and an amazing laugh.
10. The first cry of my own children. It is a music that assures us that life has been fulfilled and that everything is okay.
11. The pop of a cork leaving a bottle of wine or champagne.
12. A full orchestra warming up before a concert or play. It's a promise of a flood of emotions to come.
13. The singing voice of someone with an amazing God-given talent that fills you with more emotions than you ever knew you had.
14. (Because I can't end on 13) Thunder and rain. They promote relaxation and a feeling that the earth is being renewed.
On the flip side, what are your most hated sounds? The phone ringing, kids screaming and fighting, a cricket you can't find in the middle of the night, angry voices or the voice of someone verbally abusing someone else, my text signal going off when my phone is two rooms away and I just got comfortable.
I would have to concur on the whole list but I will expound on #12...
DeleteA couple of years ago, I went to an opera. I had preconceived notions about opera. Wasn't particularly fond of them. Had no interest, BUT I got invited, and am currently in a phase of my life that is experimental - trying new things so I was game. I held no expectations. I found myself captivated, feeling the emotion behind the scenes and tears falling. It was powerful beyond words.
Everyone's questions are so cool. Really. I've noted it and will post it - post contest....:-)