I sat in front of my computer for the better part of yesterday doing checkbook damage control so when the time came to go shake and shimmy, I was on that like teflon on a pan. We had my in-laws' anniversary to celebrate this morning (give it up for 'em - 40 years!) and then just when I got home and thought, 'AT LAST! I am going to blog until my eyes fall out', my daughter called to say she'd locked her keys in her car...On the way home? Hubs calls requesting that I bring home some ice...
I am finally here, and have been catching up for the last hour and a half or so on some really amazing folks who have joined the contest, and trying to get to all the comments. I have also compiled a list of the questions they have posed for me and will address those separately in a post, figuring it would be easier that way. You people need to be doing this question thing - you come up with some questions that rock!!
We do blog best with our feet propped, don't we? There's my Magmonster in the background.
Since I referenced a movie in my last question title and it wasn't about a movie...
What is your all-time favorite movie and why? What do you snack on in a theater when you go?
I start by saying I am not a huge movie buff. I can be a bit picky about what I watch, and I don't like just anything, particularly the 'latest' movie craze that often sends the rest of the nation's population into a froth. If you were to start naming movies, recent or classic, famous or obscure, there's a good chance I'll answer - "Haven't seen it." I just succumbed to renting the updated version of Footloose...and hated it so much that it made me mad. HOWEVER, when I love a movie? That means something. I have quite a few that are top of my list, and I had to deliberate between two to pick my #1, but decided on this one because it has so many things that about it that make it special to me. That, and the other one might be a bit more 'cliché.
Why Hope Floats? It was filmed in a little town in Texas that holds most all of my favorite childhood memories: Smithville, Texas - home of the 'goat man', hot guts and barbeque, and 'the honey house'. I spent weeks and weeks of my childhood there and still go back any time I am in Texas.
This house? The house where the movie was filmed? RIGHT down from my great-grandmother's house. I had driven past this house a zillion times as a kid. Oh, don't think that my Nannie lived in a huge estate - this house was THE house in Smithville, original owners were wealthy, but the rest of the neighborhood were quaint little abodes. My Nannie's house was precious. I'll have to write about it one day. It was a box - a room in each square corner of the house.
This movie holds top position because around the time it came out, my grandfather was in the later stages of Alzheimer's. There's a scene where Sandra Bullock goes to a nursing home to visit her Dad who has Alzheimer's. He sees her as the little girl she was, and stands up to dance with her...the first time I saw this in the theater, I was so thrown into a state of grief that I couldn't breathe, and had to get up and run out to go cry ragged sobs out behind the theater. As painful as that was then, now it reminds me that this scene helped me face what I could not face, and try to accept it.
I love the overall theme of the movie: HOPE. Hope that rises out of difficult, seemingly impossible circumstances.
The strength of Birdie, the main character, draws me to 'Hope Floats'. All the women in the movie, actually. They remind me of the women in my life. How colorful, and multi-faceted they all are. How funny and beautiful and flawed we all are.
I won't give away the movie's story line, but the storyline is about getting that second chance at something you let get away. Priceless.
The soundtrack is awesome.
Sandra Bullock is one of my favorite actresses.
This adorable supporting actress is incredible. My favorite scene of hers is when she's trying to kick Justin Matesse (Harry Connick Jr) off the front porch and says her Mom had a pet skunk named Justin and was always saying, "You stink, Justin Matesse!" But even better? The scene where her dad leaves from coming to see her...she should have won an Academy Award. If THAT doesn't rip your heart out, you don't have one.
I love so many of the lines from the movie and I can quote many of them, verbadim.
This one?
Dancing's just a conversation between two people. Talk to me. ~Justin Matesse
Serious melt factor.
As for what I snack on at the movies...well, I don't go to many in theaters (remember I am picky) but if I go, I usually just get a drink - Coke Zero. If I could walk in and miraculously all the calories could disappear? I'd have popcorn, extra butter and a big box of Raisinettes.





Oh my goodness! I love love love love love Hope Floats. And how cool is THAT to know the house it was filmed at! Wasn't Harry Connick Jr sexy in this movie? I have the soundtrack and I actually wore it out! And when the dad leaves that little girl even though she is begging him to take her.....I cried all out, can't breathe sobbing! Like you, I picked out so many amazing quotes....especially what you noted: Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up and it will.... Great choice for your favorite. Believe it or not, that's not my favorite, but it's on my list. I will post my answer to your question soon! Real soon!
ReplyDeleteP.S.....I forgot to mention the toes!!! It's all about the toes! Cutsie Tosies!
ReplyDeleteYes, I still think it is very cool that I KNOW the various places where that movie takes place. It's fun to look into the setting and see places I recognize from my childhood. I'll plead the fifth on the question about Harry Connick Jr...:) Hubs already says Harry Connick is my 'hunka hunka burnin' love' every time he sees him or hears him, with quite the jealous tone. :)
ReplyDeleteI wore my soundtrack out too!
Can't wait to see what your favorite will be!!
Check out my blog for my detailed answer (with pics)
ReplyDeletefavorite movie: "An Affair to Remember"
thanks Carrie!
Can't wait!
DeleteHello, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI've been trying for the last day to decide on my favorite movie.
Then it occurred to me that maybe I don't have a favorite. Don't get me wrong, I love movies. I love being able to go to the theater and sit there and escape to a different reality for a couple hours.
I think, I like to rediscover movies. Movies that I watched in the past and loved, then sort of let them slip away and have them pop up again on the TV and be excited about seeing them again. The other night, The Iron Giant (it's animated)was on TV. When our older boys were small, we watched that movie over and over on VHS tape. It never really got old. Watching it again on the weekend brought back all those memories about my kids going through all the emotions of the movie, sitting cross-legged on the carpet in front of the screen. It's a good movie. I like that one. But more so, I like the feel of old, forgotten favorites coming back to stir up memories.
Also, lately, I find I'm getting more emotional with the underdog winning the day movies. Like the movie Secretariat . I can't watch that without tears streaming down my face at the final scene. (you can have those mancard points back now)
When my wife and I are at the theater, 2 regular popcorns, 1 large sprite, and occasionally some twizzlers. Unless we've just eaten. then just the drink.
I was wondering, do you remember the first movie you ever saw in a theater?
I'm pretty sure my first movie in a theater was Where The Red Fern Grows. That's going to date me. Also, my mom took us to see Superman at the drive-in. That was the first time I was at one of those. We even had the speaker on the window with the cord. Pretty high tech! :)
It really is hard for me to choose favorites of much of anything either - I am quite the variety girl. So I am with you there.
DeleteThat whole paragraph about rediscovering movies...has anyone EVER told you that you are quite a deep, reflective, insightful soul? If they haven't, then there, I just did. That is so very true. I also love revisiting old favorites.
So here goes my litany of 'haven't seen it' - I don't think I've seen Iron Giant and I know I haven't seen Secretariat. I need to take a year's sabbatical just to catch up on all the great movies that are out there that I have obviously missed.
I love your memories of your kids watching the movie. I can remember the first movie I took my son to - The Lion King. He was only 2 or 3. I gave him the dvd limited edition version for Christmas last year. Pretty special to me. He looked a bit quizzical about it, but I told him why it was special to me and that one day he'll want to sit and share it with his kids. He got it then.
Have you seen Warhorse? Oh my gosh. Talk about emotional. I am a history enthusiast. I LOVED horses as a child (still do) and am a sucker for animal movies. I cried like I'd just lost my best friend sitting in the theater watching that. If you haven't seen it, do so. And as far as giving up your mancard points, NOT POSSIBLE Kimosabe.
The first movie I remember seeing was the first Star Wars movie.THAT was incredible - to see that scrolling intro and hear John Williams ring out over the darkened theater. Goosebumps.
LOVED drive-ins! There is ONE left here in my area and I NEED to try and get there. I might just take the nieces and nephew next week...thanks for the idea! It would work out great to go see something in my convertible.
Yes! Warhorse was a pretty awesome movie as well. This afternoon, the kid and I were having lunch. Guess what was on? Hope Floats! I'm telling him all about this friend of mine that spent some time growing up in Smithville and whose great-grandmother lived down the street from THAT house!
DeleteHow cool is that?
I forgot to say, nice toes. Are those toe rings I see? :)
No way!!!! That came on! It's a sign.
DeleteToe rings! Both feet! :)
Smithville was magical but probably because of my memories. I will always remember my grandfather killing the engine at the top of the hill that propelled straight down from the lake area where they lived to town. We'd coast and I felt like we were flying.
I have a toe ring with a Canadian flag on it I bought on a whim. I can't wear it with work boots though. Or any time really, I can't seem to get used to it.
DeleteMaybe the movie was a sign? It was cool anyways.
I like the coasting story. I remember running out of gas with my dad in the farm truck when I was a small kid. We coasted almost all the way home, a mile of so I think. All we had was a short walk to get some fuel to carry on.
It's a sign!!! :)
DeleteI wore toe rings every day for several summers in the past several years. It does take getting used to but once I did, I didn't notice them. Now, I wear them occasionally, when the mood strikes.
My grandfather would either put me on his lap or I'd stand behind his seat in his locksmith van and hold as we sailed down. That hill was huge.
I'm sure I saw that movie but it doesn't stick out in my mind.
ReplyDeleteI have a few very favorites. When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless are 2 that I could watch over and over.
I dislike theaters because I don't like people talking around me during the movie, wrappers crinkling, popcorn crunched etc.. I love milk duds and popcorn and our theater has cotton candy!!
My Mom is like that - does not want to hear sister sucking on a dill pickle the WHOLE movie - true story. Last time she ever stepped foot in a theater and that was back in the 90's....
DeleteI love Sleepless....every time I see horses I do the 'harses harses harses' scene.
Yummo!
By the way, you and Melanie are sisters!!!!!!!!!! Just figuring this out!!!!!! And you're saying to yourself...'congratulations captain duh.." that is so awesome and I love you both.
Funny and I totally do the "harses harses harses" thing too! Meg is good people. I prefer You've Got Mail to Sleepless, but Sleepless just has that lost love quality to it and it was our mom's favorite. She had all the soundtracks.
DeleteAnd the movie theater is hard for me too. Hearing people chat, text, or just chew is annoying. And the chair-kicking-talkers are the worst! Plus, I am at my wit's end with breathing other people's air by the end of the movie. But I'm with Funny: I do enjoy some Milk Duds and popcorn. And an Icee!
And you aren't behind. I can't imagine how you would know we were sisters!
That soundtrack (Sleepless) is awesome.
DeleteMeg is cool. Would love to meet her. My mother-in-law TOTALLY looked like her in her younger years.
I much prefer renting movies after they come out on dvd because I am so picky about what movies I see since I"m not a fanatic. However there are just some movie that must be seen in a theater.
That is just stinkin' cool that you're sisters and I 'met' you both here.
My father was the milkman. Actually, Mel and I are a lot alike. Or used to be.
DeleteYou two are plum awesome.
DeleteWhat does Funny mean bu "used to be"??? I'm. Hurt. Her father really was the milkman. She is the blonde haired, blue eyed child with four siblings with dark hair and eyes.
DeleteThat must be why I had no clue y'all were siblings...but then...I do see a resemblance in the faces on your wee little teeny tiny thumbnail pictures. That, or my eyes are crossing...:)
DeleteMy favorite movie of all time is a tie between Shallow Grave, and Breakfast at Tiffany's. I like to snack on peanut m&m's. I am the only person I know who absolutely HATES popcorn.
ReplyDeleteNever saw Shallow Grave but I had myself a perfectly awesome girl/me time and rented Tiffany's. I put on my pj's. I got my favorite snack (chips and salsa) and beverage - probably wine or rum and something and holed up in the dark to watch it.
DeleteYou are the first person I have ever met that hates popcorn. Wow! Cool!
I love Hope Floats and you just reminded me that the little girl in that is one of the daughters in Parenthood (the tv show).
ReplyDeleteWhile I love and continually watch an assortment of movies, I think my favorite has to be Love Actually. I love all of the different, entwined stories, the fact that it's at Christmas, and the fact that it's not all love and happiness. The soundtrack adds to how great it is, but it is a movie that I only let myself watch at Christmas because it just makes me feel good and happy. But the scene when Emma Thompson realizes her husband is messing around and goes to her bedroom for a short cry before going to the children's play tears me up every time.
Now, what is the WORST movie you've ever had to watch? For me that would be Bullworth. We had a friend give us free passes when Hubby and I were first dating, and the friend had to review it for the newspaper and had to stay for it all. We felt obligated to stay because of her, but literally could not take another minute and risked a friendship to get far away from that heinousness.
I love Hope Floats. In fact, I am long overdue for a 'me' date where I pop it in by myself and get lost in the story.
DeleteLove Actually....it has been a while but there's this scene where one of the male characters is on the front porch, playing a song and holding up cards for the love of his life...who happens to be with someone else...that scene.
I have one of the WORST movies ever made as my worst. I will note and share.
Oh yes. Unfortunately the girl is Keira Knightly who is gorgeous but a horrid actress in my opinion. I love how the best friend loves her but would never betray his best friend by doing anything about it. He finally gets it off his chest, and it's beautiful to see that they were able to do it in a way that didn't make light of her marriage or develop their relationship. He was just able to be honest and then walk away, knowing that he was free of the burden of carrying that around forever. I like to think he bumped into the love of his life on his way home that day...
DeleteAll this that you said. Exactly. :)
DeleteKelly Heroes!!! I absolutely love the movie, and the theme song.
ReplyDeleteKelly's Heroes is a feel-good, shoot-'em-up movie that sidesteps the blood and goes for the glory. It's a goofy plot, but it strikes an ancient chord: war as an adventure where the warrior returns home laden with loot, instead of settling for a Veterans Administration check in the mail.
Can you guess who is my favorite character? Yep, the hippie tank commander, Oddball (Donald Sutherland).
Evalina, This and that...
I have never seen this, Evalina, but that means nothing with a movie virgin like me. I'll have to check it out, although the 'shoot-em-up' part leaves me hesitant. :)
DeleteI like the idea of a hippie tank commander Oddball!!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete