I like to put a twist on the title and be reminded of all the people there are to love. I'd written a post shortly after my first trip to Central America about finding my heart there, because it felt it had expanded ten sizes to fit all those people that I didn't even know. From the old snow cone peddler that smooched my neck when I hugged him, to the random countless people I saw on the side of the road, I was crazy in love with all of them, and it continues.
Here's where I wish I had been more bold to ask to take pictures of the people I meet. I will next time, trust me. For now, I can only visit them in my thoughts and tell you about some of them here. There's the two Julio's and Bérta. Met one of the Julio in one of the Pharmacias. We were standing there trying to figure out how to ask for anti-nausea medication (Dramamine) (for the Hubs), pantomiming first rocking back and forth on a boat, and then hanging onto the side of a boat tossing cookies overboard. We were a sight - and then Julio pipes up, "Hola! What can I do for you today?" 'Wait - what? You speak English! Oh, hallelujah! Okay! So we need an anti-nausea medication. Hey - you ever been North Carolina? (he had on a t-shirt that said North Carolina)." We talked and I commended his excellent English skills, asking if he'd like to teach me Spanish when I got there to live. I asked his name. He gave us the biggest grin. And the anti-pukey pill. The other Julio was a vendor where we bought some souvenirs - AND the prize for my give-away when I can finally finish up these posts and kick it off. I am making it a point to ask people's names. And look them in the eye.
Bérta was one of the beach vendors, peddling an armload of necklaces and bracelets. I had perfected the 'No gracias' and the accompanying finger wag, but she was persistent. Persistent and perspiring. My Mom heart just melted, and felt for this girl - age 16, pacing up and down the sand in jeans to sell these necklaces that, quite honestly, did not look authentic or handmade. She said she was selling them for her school. In her broken English, and me in my even more broken Spanish, we girl chatted and shesuckered convinced me to purchase a long torquoise and red necklace for my Måma. We'd run out of cordobas, so I sent Hubs to the banco and invited Bérta up on the restaurant deck to sit with me. In all that sweat, I told her how 'bonita' she was, and she replied that I was mucho bonita, and we grinned at each other's sweat-shiny faces, one a beautiful 'bronze' as she called it, and mine the wanna-be bronze version. I handed over probably more than the necklace was worth, and we hugged, and she kissed my cheek.
Then there was Fabiola, the chef that will come to your location and cook up some of the best food you have ever tasted. There is something about strong women that endears me to them, and I instantly connected to her. She is young - can't be past her early twenties, beautiful and funny! Her English is self-taught and she prides herself in learning it. She said she didn't do well in school, that 'numbers are hard' but she has this enterprising business that she offers. She is super feisty - I think the men in our group found her to be beguiling for that reason, and she had us all laughing. I told her when I get there, I am going to have her come stay with me for a month to teach me all she knows about Spanish and cooking. She hugged us all when we left, and asked us to 'friend' her on facebook. *the world just gets smaller.
There are times my heart just aches for people - those I see, those I am privileged to meet. I have come to hold a fond affection for many of you here, intrigued by your lives and the slice of world where you are. You just don't know how incredibly fabulous you all are. You are loved.
Here's where I wish I had been more bold to ask to take pictures of the people I meet. I will next time, trust me. For now, I can only visit them in my thoughts and tell you about some of them here. There's the two Julio's and Bérta. Met one of the Julio in one of the Pharmacias. We were standing there trying to figure out how to ask for anti-nausea medication (Dramamine) (for the Hubs), pantomiming first rocking back and forth on a boat, and then hanging onto the side of a boat tossing cookies overboard. We were a sight - and then Julio pipes up, "Hola! What can I do for you today?" 'Wait - what? You speak English! Oh, hallelujah! Okay! So we need an anti-nausea medication. Hey - you ever been North Carolina? (he had on a t-shirt that said North Carolina)." We talked and I commended his excellent English skills, asking if he'd like to teach me Spanish when I got there to live. I asked his name. He gave us the biggest grin. And the anti-pukey pill. The other Julio was a vendor where we bought some souvenirs - AND the prize for my give-away when I can finally finish up these posts and kick it off. I am making it a point to ask people's names. And look them in the eye.
Bérta was one of the beach vendors, peddling an armload of necklaces and bracelets. I had perfected the 'No gracias' and the accompanying finger wag, but she was persistent. Persistent and perspiring. My Mom heart just melted, and felt for this girl - age 16, pacing up and down the sand in jeans to sell these necklaces that, quite honestly, did not look authentic or handmade. She said she was selling them for her school. In her broken English, and me in my even more broken Spanish, we girl chatted and she
Then there was Fabiola, the chef that will come to your location and cook up some of the best food you have ever tasted. There is something about strong women that endears me to them, and I instantly connected to her. She is young - can't be past her early twenties, beautiful and funny! Her English is self-taught and she prides herself in learning it. She said she didn't do well in school, that 'numbers are hard' but she has this enterprising business that she offers. She is super feisty - I think the men in our group found her to be beguiling for that reason, and she had us all laughing. I told her when I get there, I am going to have her come stay with me for a month to teach me all she knows about Spanish and cooking. She hugged us all when we left, and asked us to 'friend' her on facebook. *the world just gets smaller.
There are times my heart just aches for people - those I see, those I am privileged to meet. I have come to hold a fond affection for many of you here, intrigued by your lives and the slice of world where you are. You just don't know how incredibly fabulous you all are. You are loved.
No comments:
Post a Comment