July 23, 2012

The 'Great Get-Know-You' Give-Away!

(Oh go on...be a poor sport and skip to the bottom for the give-away details, the prize, and the first entry if you're in such an all-fired hurry.)  :)

I have said I was going to do this, and have procrastinated ruminated over just how to go about it, but I am going to do what I do best, and fly by the seat of my pants and get this party started!  It will be wild and crazy fun, but only if we have group participation.  (said in my best elementary teacher voice) "Yes, boys and girls, that means we all have to take a turn.  Everyone plays!"  Mostly that's me, wishful thinking that you'd all take time to do this in some capacity.  We will all get a chance to know one another better, and all have some possible post prompts/ideas to boot!  What could be better?  A prize, you say?  Why, yes!  There's that too!  But first, in proper professor-y fashion, I must teach you something ...'Gather'.


(You didn't think I was going to just jump right in and share with you what the prize is, did you?)


Brief history of the hammock:  Hammocks have been around before North America ever was by 800-900 years, originating in Central and South America.  It is widely accepted that they began with the Mayan Indians.  They not only brought us that crazy calendar, but they make a mean relaxation device.  The earliest material used to construct them was the bark of the Hamak tree, and only began  to be made from the softer materials you find in modern hammocks in the last 50 years or so.  With trade prevalent in the lower Americas at this time, the comfort and convenience of hammocks spread its use far and wide.  Today, they are made of various materials and come in a variety of styles for both aesthetic quality and tranquility.

Did you know? There have been studies done to research the possibility that hammocks offer better and deeper sleep?  I can believe it!  Sometimes I can stretch out in mine, and jerk awake an hour later, feeling like I'd been clubbed over the head, I was sleeping so soundly.  It just might have something to do with the rocking motion.  To be more astounded and fascinated by this information, read here Sway Yourself to Sleep.  Got insomnia?  Get a hammock!

Nicaraguan Wedding Hammock

Want to know more about the best place on the planet to buy a hammock?  Nicaragua, of course! One more reason that place calls to me like nowhere else!  Go HERE and scroll down to learn more about the beautiful wedding hammocks made in Masaya, Nicaragua.  I couldn't get Hubs to venture there this last visit.  Rest assured, I will go next time, if I have to drive that stick shift car there myself!

Okay, Okay, Okay!!!
Get on with it already, right? 

Here's what I'm thinking...(look out...).  I wanted this give-away challenge to be about an exchange of 'stories'.  Let me take the pressure off by saying that no, it doesn't have to be lengthy or incredibly lofty.  Simple stories and thoughts shared among friends.  So for the next two weeks - that's starting tonight through Sunday, August 5th, I'm going to pose a question for you!  The thing is, I have to answer it myself following the question as the post.  Answer it in the most lengthy or short manner you choose, and as creatively as you'd like.  No worries there.  DON'T stress over sharing long unless you just want to.  Some question or prompt might really strike a chord but don't stress.  I am very anti-pressure here.  I wouldn't love hammocks if I didn't believe in 'chillin'.  You can either leave your answer in the comments below that day's question, OR post it on over at YOUR blog as a post prompt, linking back here, of course, but make sure you let me know in the comment box here that you're going to answer it on your blog.  ALSO, as a bonus 'entry' to win the prize from the drawing, you can ask me a question of your own!  Fair game!  In a nutshell:

1)  A question will be posed daily here for the next two weeks (Why two weeks?  Plenty of opportunity for ample questions but sets a time limit since this will have me here daily.  Besides life is about to get slap crazy with real life cranking back up full steam.)

2) You can either answer in the comment section under the post OR post it as a writing prompt for your own blog but be sure to let me know in the comments and link it back here, pretty please.

3)  As a bonus, you can ask me a question - anything!  I'll answer it with your comment/question!  This will count as a second entry!  BUT - if you want to ask me a question, you HAVE to answer mine!  :)

In summary, if you answer my question, that counts as one entry in the drawing.  If you ask me something, it counts as two.  Plenty of chances to win!  The final question will be Sunday, August 5th in the morning.  The drawing will take place some time that day, with a winner announced by midnight Eastern Time. 

What do you win???
A cotton canvas-style hammock brought from Nicaragua!!!
 (Don't mind the string of lights. We leave them up year-round in these parts...kidding.  It's 'mood lighting' for my deck')
 It measures over 6 feet in length for all you tall drinks of water out there.  If you're taller than that, let your feet hang off.  Still fun!
 It measures almost 4 feet wide...I will refrain from commenting on width.
Isn't it beautiful?  That is hand-hammered metal in the hook...love it.

Don'tcha want it?  Then get to crackin' and write!
Here's the first question - keeping it easy and light to start -

What is your favorite thing about summertime, OR your favorite summer memory?
Summer has to be my favorite season.  Cliché, I know, but when you are a teacher, you live (crave, long for, fantasize about) summer.  I also prefer the temperatures myself.  I don't mind sweating, really. Want to read more about my sweaty experience to a Korean spa?  Go here - Gonna Make You Sweat.

There is so very much to adore about summer, but one of my summer 'loves' is something so simple:  cruising as the sun goes down, listening to tunes.  I have done this as long as I can remember, although with gas prices, I don't wander for quite so long.  However, I set out quite often, in search of the best vantage for watching the sun go down, favorite tunes blaring, windows/sunroof/top down.  Recently, on one of my summer drives to chase the sunset, this song came on:

...and I screamed..."I love this song!!!" to the traffic around me.  I sang it loud and it brought back so many memories of my days, 'back in the day' of my new wave/alternative phase.  I could have SO been Andy in "Pretty in Pink" or even Ally Sheedy as Allison Reynolds in 'Breakfast Club'.  I had that part of me that was 'deep' and 'dark' and 'brooding' - all poetic and mysterious and edgy.  Oh yeah. I went through that phase.  More so, I loved this music.  Tunes by Echo and the Bunnymen, The Style Council, 10,000 Maniacs, The Cure, The Cult, The Smithereens, Siousxie and the Banshies, New Order and Joy Division.

So summertime, to me, is so many things, all wrapped up in sunset chasing, wind blowing  drives down memory lane.

16 comments:

  1. I love all of that music!
    My favorite summer memories are from when I was a teen. Going to the pool (before I had to get a stupid job) and yes, cruising around Tulsa and going to the dollar movie. Meeting cute boys from other schools. Having the most perfect tan and then the most perfect white Gap t to show it off. Koolies from Quick Trip (like a slushie or a frozen coke) Kissing boys in the humid evenings and going to the drive in movie.
    And I love the heat. The feel of the sun on my skin is the best.

    I adore that hammock!!!! I do have one but it has a small hole from a mouse chewing it in the shed so I could use a new bright one.
    I could (and have with my hubby) sleep in mine all night long, sadly the mosquitos will eat my husband alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaaahhhh!!!! You're the first to respond! THAT deserves an extra entry JUST for that! :) Score!

      We sound like we had very similar childhood/teen years...I concur on some of those same 'favorite' memories...I have one in particular about meeting cute boys from other schools...one of my best friends and I went to band camp ('One time, at band camp...) at a college campus nearby one summer. That same week, there was a SOCCER CAMP going at that very same campus!! You can imagine the jubilee...'Squee!!!! Soccer boys!" Actually, neither one of us were one to 'squee' but we did something VERY sneaky...we changed our names and 'personas'.....and chatted it up with some vereh cute guys...tricky? deceptive? Yes, but we were 14? 15? We were young, and having fun!

      The hammock doesn't have one of those separator bars in it to keep it flat. This kind wraps you up like a burrito, I imagine, unless that is what you aim for with your hubby when you want to snuggle! :)

      Putting your name in the hat - twice! Thanks for playing along!

      Delete
  2. Hey my friend! I love this. I'm hoping to be able to keep up with these questions as best I can.

    You sure do know a lot about hammocks. But then if anyone does, it makes sense that it's you.

    I love the heat as well. I never used to but it seems I've grown into it. While everyone's complaining about it and looking for shade, I'm sweating like crazy and having a grand time.

    One of my favorite things about summer?
    I have this old motorcycle. It's a 1978 Suzuki. In-line 4 cylinder. There isn't a single thing on it that I can't take apart and repair myself. It's not new or one of the fancy V-twin jobs that everyone wants these days but I think it has character. One of the favorite things I like to do during the summer is to go for a bike ride on a beautiful summer day. Everyone has gotten so used to driving around with the windows up and the A/C on that they're missing a lot of summer things. Things like smells. I love riding in the evening, smelling yards with campfires going or barbeques cooking supper. the smell of fresh cut hay or a field freshly baled. I don't get to do it as often as I would like but when I do, It's always relaxing.

    So, aside from summer, what would be your second favorite season of the year. I suspect that your seasons might not be as much of a change as we have here in Canada though?

    I like the lights on your deck. The list of things we have in common are starting to add up! Our deck has Christmas mood lighting strings as well. I put ours on a dimmer to give them an even greater range of mood inspiring settings. :)

    this is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck yes, Kimosabe! Number two responder! That deserves two entries as well! Who will be third for the 'bonus' entry? (See how I make it up as I go along?)

    Hey, no pressure to try and 'keep up'...seriously. Let's keep it fun, the way it should be, and if you can't get here, it's okay! Even if you stop by to read when you can't but don't feel like answering, say hi! :)

    It would stand to reason a guy's guy like yourself would not only have a motorcycle but be able to take it apart and put it back together. Bet you can do it blindfolded. :)

    That is so true about everyone staying so closed up in artificial lighting and temperature control...I wonder if that's why there's so much that ails people now. We weren't meant to live in an artificial environment.

    For that same reason, I enjoy riding with my top down during all times of the year. The smells are so heady and earthy. Of course there's some down right rank stenches that waft along the countryside but that's all a part of living here. My favorite in the summer is this sweet grassy wisteria richness mixed with the warm smell of soil.

    Hey! You get a third entry for asking me a question! Thank you for sending me one that won't rack my brain at this point...
    I would have to say that probably spring is my next favorite - it's that waking up time when there is promise so thick it's tangible. I know there are many merits to fall, and there are aspects of it that are great, but my associations with it are: the start of a school year, and depression that has crept over my bones and it has always seemed to find me in autumn. Winter is just too dang cold. I miss sensation in my hands and feet then. You'd be surprised - we have quite a mild mix of seasons here. Probably the best of each ,I would say, but then I'm biased. :)

    A dimmer on the mood lights! What?! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, looks like I'm #3....
    Summer is my favorite! I love the heat. The sun. Always have. Though I notice as I get older, it seems like the sun gets hotter. Why is that? And even though we need rain desperately right now, I am loving the sunshine.
    As a young lady, I remember just hanging out with friends. Leaving the house on our bicycles....staying outside until our parents had to call us in at dark. Short shorts (cuz I was young and skinny back then)...tube tops...sandals. and yes, the boys.
    I love the sights and smells and tastes of summer. I love seeing people out and about. Food grilling. Mixed drinks. Lemonade. Cocoa butter tanning lotion. The sun sparkling across the water. Tank tops. Sunglasses. Capri pants (cuz I'm older now and not so skinny)...flip flops. And yes,...boys? OH!!!! no wait...kids.
    I love the mood that summer brings.

    These days, I'm loving the Pool. Floating on an air mattress. Soaking up the sun.

    I'm loving the Harley. Wind in my hair, sun on my face, and even the occasional bug splatter.

    And I'm loving the thought of that hammock! It sure would add some color to my patio.....and a relaxing place to lay for me....

    Where do you live and what makes summer fun where you are?

    I hope I can keep up with this......it will be fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are!! YAY!!!

      Loved how you paralleled what you loved about summer as a kid/teen and what you love about it now. There is a great vibe or 'feel' to summertime, for sure. A scent that I absolutely ADORE that runs through my childhood years to present is Coppertone Suntan Lotion...Love it!

      Woah! You have a Harley? Do you ride it yourself of with hubby? Cool!

      I live in Georgia, in the most beautiful area of it, I think. There is is much around here that makes summer fun - a summer staple is going to Stone Mountain's Laser Show - look it up if you get the notion! Another 'have to do' when June rolls around is go tubing down the Chattahoochee In Helen. It's touristy and often crowded but there's such camaraderie navigating rocks and drifting down the chilly waters with a few thousand of your closest friends! There are wonderful hiking trails and what is cropping up everywhere, it seems, are wineries - also fun to visit. For the adventurous, and not too far a drive, you can whitewater raft. I also love to go to concerts in the summer, and we're close enough to some of the venues that carry some great concerts. My favorite venue by far is Chastain Park, and open air arena - it is smaller, and you can bring your own picnic, complete with candles and wine! Very cool.

      I hope you can too! Looking forward to it!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, I want a hammock. And I LOVE Echo and the Bunnymen.

    My favorite thing about summer is cool drinks and good friends sitting around chatting. I am not a fan of the heat but I make the best of it. I also love to get to wear my sundresses.

    My question for you is: what is your favorite musical band or artist? I know it's a difficult one to answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hey!

      And now you have a chance to win it!! :)

      Love sundresses!!

      Ah, you've asked a difficult question because I've always had a hard time nailing down any one favorite when it comes to music. However, I think that I can break it down into categories.....
      Long time favorite band - U2 - was a fan before they were 'mainstream'.
      Lyrically, I love a group called Future for Forestry
      From my childhood? Santana and The Eagles
      My classic artist that I adore? Van Morrison....I have a friend who openly says she would smooch Bob Dylan's face off if she'd ever get left in a room with him...and she's married, mother of 2 boys....Yeah- Van Morrison is that for me.

      :)

      Delete
    2. I love Them, but I'm not a huge fan of Van's solo stuff. I heard Brown Eyed Girl on way too many mix tapes boys made for me when I was young. :)

      Delete
    3. Ha ha ha! You must have brown eyes too! :) Cool! I didn't have anyone sing it or dedicate it or anything, and honestly it isn't my favorite song by him. Love Tupelo Honey. :)

      Delete
  6. My favorite summer memory is helping my dad make homemade ice cream. He would mix the ingredients, put them in the crank maker, put in ice and salt, then my sister and I were the "ice sitters"; we sat on a folded towel on the maker to keep the ice in while dad cranked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaah homemade ice cream!!! Yes, I remember that all too well. We would get 2 or 3 ice cream makers going in the summer at my grandparents' house. My favorite, besides chocolate, was my Granny's orange crush recipe.

      Great memory and thanks for sharing! Brought back fun memories of my own!

      Yay! You have an entry in now for the drawing! :) I"m going to zip on over and check out your blog now - always love to meet new friends!

      Delete
  7. I know it's not terribly exciting, but my favorite thing about summer is the fact that I know it absolutely will not snow. I really hate the snow, and I love knowing that I don't have to deal with it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? THAT is one of the very reasons I know for a fact that I was meant to not only live in the South (very little snow) but that I could so very easily live where I could skip winter altogether. I like snow for a day...and then I am ready for it to go away. Exciting or not, it is legit.

      Delete
  8. I have to admit that summertime for me is a tricky thing. I love very few things in the world as much as swimming. Pool, ocean, lake, whatever. I love to be in the water. But summer is hot and I hate being hot. However, I am throwing out there that this is my favorite summer because, although it is hotter and dryer than most of my life, I weigh almost 50 pounds less and am so much more comfortable. Being almost-thin again reminds me that it wasn't always so awful and that there was a time I enjoyed being outside, even when it was overly warm. This year, I enjoy putting on my swimsuit and watching it appear larger and larger. I love the look on Hubby's face when he sees me in my suits. And I love the compliments I'm getting now that I don't look like I was washed out out of the depths of the ocean that only whales inhabit. So, while childhood memories of watermelon and sno cones are good, this summer has been about getting me back, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so glad for you!! I too, have traveled that road of 'weight issues' and really, still have to combat them regularly today. It is cool that you get to enjoy this season (my personal favorite) in a new body and see just how freeing and wonderful it is to run around in less clothing! Seriously! Glad you're joining in, Melanie!!! :)

      Delete