July 18, 2012

Parting Thoughts and Ponderings

I have a post to share, upcoming, that will possibly give you some insight into this thread I find stitched to me and this little place over the ocean.  It is more than a mere 'vacation'.  I want a few days to work on that post.  I can't wait to share it.

In the mean time, I thought about all that I learned, and yet still want to learn about that crescent-moon shaped patch of cocoa-colored sand.

Here are a few of my ah-ha's and wonderings:
1.  It is confirmed: to establish complete mental and physical, spiritual and emotional health, I need to see large sections of the sky.
2.  They have lightning bugs (aka - fireflies) in Nicaragua!!!
3.  I could potentially grow mango, papaya and bananas right outside my door...this amazes me.
4.  Papaya is a natural stomach settler.  If you have a bit of a tummy issue, papaya is good for what ails the stomach.
5.  However, papaya can also be dangerous - its oils on the outer layer or the seeds, can cause allergic reaction and illness.  Particularly if a howler monkey flings said fruit at you from a tree (story from one of the guests where we stayed.)
6.  You know how (some of you that may pay even the remotest of attention) the air from a ceiling fan while sleeping causes me to burrow under 6 layers of blankets in my self-constructed igloo?  It has to do with the air conditioning because I was perfectly content to splay across the bed under a thin sheet (or not), oscillating fan mingled with the Pacific breezes coming in through the open windows. The air didn't bother me one bit.   I have found the temperatures that suit me best.
7. Note to self - in all my observations of people and cultures, pay attention to what the 'norm' is for attire.  I noticed that most of the women in town (the locals) wore skirts, or jeans or capris (and longer shorts to the knees).  I was reminded of my daughter's trips to Guatemala and the requirement to find cool and comfortable capris to cover the legs.  So are Central American men leg men,  apparently? It would stand to reason now...see #8
8.  Do not take a short cut through the intersection where the taxi drivers wait in your bathing suit bottoms/running shorts.  Not if you want to feel clean and fully clothed by the time you  make it through the crossing...Me(mumbling to Hubs): oh geez, I feel 14 sets of eyes boring into my calves right about now.  Gah - are they gawking?  Hubs (said from behind me): "oh yeah.  Checking you out."  Cripes.
When the locals wear skirts/knee-length attire, follow suit.
9.Who needs a brush?  Around Day 4 or 5 I was rifling through my suitcase and discovered, "Huh. There's my brush.  I haven't dragged that thing through my head since I got here.  Oh well."  I'd wash it, comb it through with my wooden, wide-toothed comb and let it air dry.  I'm fond of wash n- wear hair.  So on around Day 4-5 I snapped a rare shot of me with said air dry hair.  My naturally stick- straight locks find their inner sassy curl in the air of salt and sea.
S'cuse the shiny, bare-faced sheen.  It's hot, I tell ya.  
10.  Found a new author to explore further.  I read this:
 from Randy's shelves of 'not an exchange' book borrow.  Found a kindred wandering gypsy, who happens to write about it.
These are his other books that will find their way into my hands at some point, particularly A Walk in the Woods which is his account of his Appalachian Trail experience, which starts practically at my front door.
11.  I love trying out the Spanish language, and I am determined in this next year to somehow get lessons and learn it.  I found myself repeating words and phrases, like a little kid with brand new vocabulary, yet much too big for his tongue.  It felt both like a first kiss from a lover's mouth and like trying to hold multiple pins between lips - all enthralling and new with longing for more. 
12.
From the top of my unbrushed head to the tips of my toes pointed west, I found home away from home.  Or maybe I've found 'home'.  Upon leaving, the howler monkeys sang us 'farewell'.

8 comments:

  1. Bill Bryson is my favorite travel writer. A Walk in the Woods was supremely amusing, witty and fun to read!

    I've always wanted to have a shack on a beach...but my fear of heat stroke, sand and sharks has kept from from becoming overly enthused about it!

    I'm glad you're having a good time though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta chuck the fears in the sea! Go get a little shack somewhere for a more temporary arrangement and see how you fare!

      I had an incredible time!

      Delete
  2. Is the papaya that the monkeys are hurling digested or pre-digested? You just hear things about monkeys.

    One of my favorite things about last winters vacation, was after we figured out to turn off the AC and opened the patio door for the night, the ocean breeze and the sound of the surf singing me to sleep. I missed that so much when we got home. I considered getting one of those ocean sounds CD's but I knew it wouldn't be the same.

    You have such an adventurers heart. I love all the things you dream of doing. I read the motorcycle travel diary books that Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman did on their journey's around the globe on bikes. I loved that but also discovered they passed within a half hour of my home at one point. It made me a little sad that if I had known, even to go and watch them pass and wave, would have made me in the tiniest way, a part of their adventure.

    Is it just me or do you keep dropping hints about living there? I ask because it may be an exceptional location to come and visit a friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Papaya in the story was pre-digested, but I have heard the stories, by authors such as Who Flung Doo...yeah. Yick.

      I did that once on a trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama. On a rare occasion that we had lodging right on the sand, I could hear the waves and didn't want to say goodnight to them at the end of the day, so after Hubs would fall asleep (in the icicle-like temperatures) I would silently slide the glass doors wide open to hear the waves, and fall fast asleep.

      This adventure's heart wasn't always so - when I was trapped within my people-pleasers persona. I wasn't any fun to be around and wasn't having much fun either. I 'woke up' about 4 years ago, and this is the real me. It is WAY more fun. ;) The funny thing about hearts like this, is that it takes one to find one, and you, my friend, have one too, in there waiting, ready to shake things up and get things rolling. Your writing is just a part of it. :)

      You will just need to create your own bike adventure...just make sure the route includes Georgia. :)

      As for the dropping hints...just wait for the post I am working on. You'll see, Kimosabe.

      Delete
  3. Love your photos, and I have always been a big fan of Bill Bryson. I was influenced by him when I wrote my memoir The Kid in the Kaleidoscope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen!
      I am an instant fan of Bryson's There were times while reading this one I embarrassed myself cackling out loud in public places.

      Would love to read your memoir!!

      Delete
  4. What a great commentary on your travel. It makes me want to escape so badly, but that is not in the plans until next April. However, I will live vicariously through you until then. Hey! Where exactly do you live? I'm in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Oklahoma! Had great-grandparents that lived there. It's where my grandfather grew up.

      I'm in Georgia!

      I hope you'll be able to go somewhere before then! I will be going to Texas next week to visit my Granny with my Dad. I can not wait to see her.

      Delete