April 16, 2012

O: Open Road

I have been anticipating this post.  I had no question what I would do for 'O'.  I couldn't wait to share this bit of 'encouragement' to all who will listen and more importantly, DO.  This definitely qualifies for a must on anyone's 'bucket list'.  If you don't have a bucket list, make one, and put this on top:  


1. Go on a solo road trip


Here are my reasons that I think everyone would benefit from this adventure -


  • Much needed 'think' time, and the freeing up of head space time.
  • It has been proven to be beneficial to your brain when experiencing novel things and new places.
  • It can be one of the most deeply spiritual, soul-satisfying journeys you could ever take.
In this day and age of 'constant connection', updates coming at us from every direction, and schedules that do not allow room for anything, we are physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally draining our very souls.  I have also come to believe that we are actually less free than more.  We have every modern convenience and the world literally at our fingertips, but we have lost our own compass, and the ability to trust God completely.  As I type this, I am interrupted to answer texts from students.  Not a bad thing, but in some ways, I feel our 'new way' of living is creating many more of us with attention deficit tendencies. This quote found in this article says it all -

We are heading toward a time when, according to the New York Times,” portable phones, pagers, and data transmission devices of every sort will keep us terminally in touch.” Yet in another more profound way, we are terminally out of touch. The need for genuine and constructive aloneness has gotten utterly lost, and in the process, so have we.”


'terminally in touch'

Imagine with me for a moment - there is nothing but you, your car, some tunes, and the open road.  No agenda.  No one 'pulling' on you for any reason.  No interruptions.  Complete bliss.


In 2009, I set out on a rather divinely appointed twelve-day solo road trip.  I coupled this with my need to write, and I found a rare moment when I was completely and utterly in my zone.  This blog was born -



The entire thing is detailed from start-to-finish in the blog.  It took over a year to finish all of the posts.  I am still unearthing all that I gained from that life-changing experience.

I did not use a GPS but a much-loved atlas.  I did not have a pre-determined route or itinerary.  A day into the trip, and my watch stopped, signaling time was not my own.  I didn't make reservations ahead for any of my lodging, and had even brought a tent, 'just in case'.  I made use of it a couple of times, including a few times sleeping in my car.

I drove to Memphis, visited Graceland, through the heart of Cherokee land, Oklahoma, on to New Mexico and the desert where I literally danced like David out there under that immense sky.  Set up a tent in the dark.  Endured a rare desert gullywasher.  Found an endearing little place called Truth or Dare.  I climbed mountains and traversed into the depths of the earth at Carlsbad Caverns.  I heard the voice of God and a call to TRUST.  Stayed for three precious days at my Granny's house, visited my childhood home and made it to my heart's home - the sea.  I have included just a fraction of the pictures from that trip.  I carry the weight of its meaning with me always.

You get to catch all kinds of wonders out the window on your way.
Create rituals and meaning all your own.
Hold contests with yourself - what else are you going to do?  This was in a series of 'Road Amusements'.
You'll see astounding landscapes and experience cool things - this was the hot springs by the Rio Grande.  I hung onto a ski rope in the brisk 42 degree waters of the river.
You see lots and lots of this.
Do crazy things - this was when I was with my cousin and aunt and Granny - they took the picture.
Go places and see things you want to see.
My world's fastest tourist jaunt through New Orleans.

I say, 'Just go'.

If you were to set out on a solo road trip, where might you want to go?

10 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds incredible. Simply incredible. I need to read your blog about that trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and if I were going out on a road trip, I would drive through New England in the fall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds AWESOME!!! Make it happen!!! :-)

      Delete
  3. Please do! It's quite long but it was quite an adventure!!!

    Thank you, Justin, for coming by!!!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love this post. I've wanted to do a road trip. Before I move back to the states from Abu Dhabi, I think I'm going to travel through all 7 Emirates of the U.A.E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! What an awesome experience you'd have and memories to treasure when you return back to the states!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I's love to go on a road trip, maybe not a solo one, i'd like some company or I get bored and start talking to myself :) Your road trip looks amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh, don't be afraid to go it alone. You don't think I didn't talk to myself??! Ha ha! Found that I make quite the sparkling conversationalist! Just kidding! But you do find yourself with LOTS of time on your hands, or rather, your head to think and ponder and work through stuff...and have fun too. I would recommend it to anyone.

    Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was my dream that now I'm turning to reality. I'm planning a trip across Canada in September, all by myself. It will be a journey to my soul.

    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read all about it! Sounds incredible!!! I hope to have a few more solo road trips ahead in my future!

      Delete