Yield: verb \'yeld\ to surrender or submit (oneself) to another
Not a very popular sentiment.
We are told to look out for number one or 'be number one'. It's all about getting our point across, or being in control - taking the upper hand. Let's not even crack open the oft debated discussion over any kind of deference in marriage. Save that for another day.
I have come to realize that strength is not found in always being right, or getting my own way, but to cede to another, to lay my 'rights' down (now there's a revolutionary idea...read a book about that thought that would turn your mind upside down in your skull) for the sake of someone else.
No, this isn't a popular concept. I might even lose readers over it (although I wouldn't cry rivers if the leechy malware would take a hike...). That will have to be okay. From the time I understood the premise, I never sought to be 'popular'.
So what would a yielded life look like on a practical level?
A father putting down his book/laptop/igadgetry to play ball with his son or daughter.
A daughter setting aside a couple of hours to have good conversation with her mom.
A business owner giving time from his work week to volunteer at a local food pantry.
There are countless ways to practice this hard discipline every day. It is not easy and it isn't always convenient. It isn't even what we want some times, and that's the point. I happen to know the Example for this type of living and He surrendered it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment