April 27, 2012

X: Xit


...Or...
Have you ever had someone come visit, or stop by your office/house/yard etc., and they don't seem to know when to make their gracious adios?  They pop in, small take ensues, and when the banter trickles to that awkward (pause) '...so...(trying to think of something else to say)...you have plans this summer?' I love people.  I have the gift of hospitality and enjoy getting to express it.  You can trust that if you come by, you'll get a hug, some tea and undivided attention.  Yet, it is a true gift to know when it's time to bid adieu. 

A skill that is honed in life is to know when to bow out.  Am I saying be a quitter?  No.  I am talking about the ability to recognize when it is time to close a chapter.  Or put an end to the toxic relationship.  Or leave one job that is no longer fulfilling.  Most of the time, we know when something is at its conclusion but we belabor the inevitable.  We may fear the loss of the familiar, or fear the unknown so we hang on.

The trick is to look for the exit signs and the open doors below them.  The two have to go together.  I firmly believe that we are given exits but also the doors we are to walk through into 'what's next', if they are the right ones.  

Is there something you need to let go of today?  Need to let something end so that a new thing can emerge?




No comments:

Post a Comment